Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Tips For the Starter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jcwillcanada, Apr 5, 2001.

1. jcwillcanada

jcwillcanada

Apr 5, 2001
    Canada
    Hey everybody, I just started bass at christmas and I need some help. I am just learning how to read normal notes. I've got a HAMER bass and a WASHBURN BAD-DOG amp. I can sortof play the chorus to a few songs via tab but other than that i'm a lost soul. I absolutely love playing my bass but the truth is i really suck. I can play the x-files, mission impossible, james bond and some other riffs and songs. If anybody has some songs that are pretty cool, yet pretty easy. Thanks

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Well congrats on choosing the bass and welcome to Talkbass. If I can give you one recommendation it would be this: THEORY! I don't know how much of a theory background you have but learning some good basic theory will serve you much better in the long run than learning any number of riffs. Theory allows you to improvise and make up your own stuff and understand WHY a bass line works not just how it works. I know it isn't that exciting or anything but a good understanding of music theory and lots and lots of practice are the best ways to master the bass.
    -Dan

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    The only advice I would have is find a *GOOD* teacher and stick with it (notice the *'s around good...don't settle for a crappy teacher).

By the way, welcome to TalkBass. I'm sure that the people here can answer just about any questions you have, and if they can't, they can find you someone that can!

4. Okies. there's been a couple of people over the course of my TB life that have posted the same thing. I put this offer to you as well. I still remember what it was like to start out and i can tab out some of the simple songs for you if you want. It all depends on what you like, i myself am a metallica and classic rock fan. Not to mention Death Metal Har har.

Welcome to TB. What everyone says is true, but i take the approach of learn what you want first. If you want to learn tabs to get some skills up then go right ahead, the rest can come later when u are confident enough.

Merls

Although the ppl i did tab stuff out for i haven't seen again...........Twilight Zone theme....

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Welcome to TB specifically and the Bass Brotherhood generally.

Find a teacher with whom you are comfortable.Since you're starting to read (great move by the way) I would recommend you keep that up with a good teacher. There are a LOT of guys around here who are great players but could not get a studio gig because they can't sight read.
    But, at the same time, make sure you get a teacher who will teach you tunes and riffs that YOU like. You're not only the student , you're the customer and unless you tell him what you want all you'll get is theory.If you get a guy who just wants to teach you to read then find somebody else.

And most important practice and listen. Practice, practice,practice! And listen to all types of music and try all kinds of bass lines.Don't close your mind to any kind of music.

Good Luck

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey I see you are 14 years old. Get in the school band or Orchestra. Learn how to read music. It might not be exactly what you want to play right now but you will be better for the experience.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    CB right-join a band or orchestra will help playing bass tremendously & can give you oppurtunities to play it. playin cello taught me about half & whole steps-that was 2 1/2 yrs ago, now i've been recruited to be the next bassist outta a handful [all grades] to play for the Lafayette Jeff Marching Band & Show band. thats all

8. Welcome, pilgrim. You have already received valuable advise here. Not a bad place, eh? - oops, err... I mean... not a bad place, huh? (I'm Canadian, but had to rephrase that for you American folks;)). The school band route is a good start. My daughter is doing the band thing, and has taken up the bass, and I can't begin to tell you how helpful band has been for her. Good luck!

9. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Definitely don't close your mind to any type of music. Of course, play what you like, but mess around with some types of music you don't like. Just to give an example, I'm in an original band that plays heavy, fast rock. I'm in a cover band that covers bands like Storyville, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, Tesla, Boston, and Def Leppard. I never did like blues much, but I have found that it has opened up a whole new world for me in the original band, and I found myself rewriting all my old bass lines. The first night I practiced with the original band again, the guitarist just looked at me after the first song and said, "damn, that sounded bad-ass. What did you do different?" I'll never tell him!