1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any tips in installing tuners/New neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gecko 5, May 20, 2011.

1. I just ordered a neck from Warmoth.
    Its reamed for BML's which I also ordered.

I am nervous as hell that I will
    #1 drill throught the headstock. How far into the wood do I meed to go? I'm guessing best thing to do would be to put some masking tape around the bit to act as a stop?
    #2 what size pilot hole do I need?

Any tips on lining these up?

2. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    My tip is to make sure the scale is proper.

3. ???? Scale?

4. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    The 12th fret is exactly 1/2 of the distance from the nut and saddle. Otherwise the guitar would have inaccurate intonation.

5. Ah, ok

6. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Tape on the drill bit, (I think about a 3/32" bit), measure the screws you intend to use. The hard part for me was getting all the tuning keys aligned, or deciding to put them all at an angle (ala Warwick). Get a good t-square to get your tuning pegs aligned nice n' perfessional!

7. Measure twice, drill once.

8. Ok loinmute. Now you have me worried.
    This is what I'm getting.
    This is the neck
    Showcase Neck

This is the body
    photo1.

photo.

How do I know if this will work? Scale wise?

9. If it's a fender style neck pocket, you'll be fine. It's probably 34 inch scale, so as long as the original scale length was 34, intonation won't be a major worry. Just make sure the neck and bridge get seated properly.