Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any tips on dampening my basement ductwork?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by C_Flat, Jan 29, 2001.

1. C_Flat

C_Flat

Jan 29, 2001
    Sounds kinda dumb but I'm serious here gents. We've rekindled the basement blues band (much to my wife's chagrin), and it's occurred to me that if I could only dampen the rattling ductwork she & the kids might stay around for a while. (It's inconceivable that the loud music is bothersome)

Just about anything I play on the E string (that's the fattest one for you guys who aren't real deep into theory like me) rattles the hell out of the ductwork. Any ideas - besides turning up till I don't notice it?

Cb

PS: This is a nice place you've got here.

2. I live in a rather small apt. building, and my landlord lived nextdoor for quite some time, he and I put all sorts of that "Pink Panther" insulation in the walls and "drop ceilings", and I have had no complaints from anyone in my building......not to mention I am warm in the winter and cool in the summers......Honestly though the insulation works and it is not that expensive.......

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The insulation is a good idea and will probably work just fine. There is a way that may be easier and cheaper. Have someone else hit the E string while you press on the duct untill you find out where the rattling is coming from. once you find the section(s) that are rattling, cement with caulking compound a block of wood to that place on the duct. you may have to jury rig the block up with a temporary strut until the caulk sets up. use a good grade of silicone caulk. wipe the area down with vinegar and let it dry and the caulking compound will hold better. All you are doing is trying to damp out the vibration. if you find the vibration at a point where two sections of the duct join together, a couple of sheet metal screws to tighten up the joint may work also. The size of the block shouldn't be critical but it needs to be large enough to do the job. Probably 3/4" x 6"x 6".