1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ANy tips on jumping in sync?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Feb 26, 2008.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Im sure u guys have seen this move a million times in rock and roll before. when theres a long break, everyone in the band(except the drummer) jumps in time and lands and plays the first note together.

any tips to do it so u land exactly on the beat?

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Practice.

Maybe try this in front of a mirror, too.

3. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    the only thing i can think of is that its more about landing when the song comes back in. you just need to know how much hang time you have with your guitar/bass in hand. and practice timing your jumps knowing you'll all land at the right time. get what i'm saying?

4. rzm61

rzm61

Feb 26, 2008
    That will be really hard to make sure you are in sync with the whole band. I would say you need a cue as to when you should jump. Either it be a part of the song, or even a nod of the head from one of the members.

However jumps all vary from person to person. Practice makes perfect.

Either way, just "Jump, jump, jump around" ha.

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    *imagines acdc and rhcp practising how to jump in sync in the studio*

6. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I think something good to do would be for everyone to practice jumping more with your knees bent and your shins getting parallel to the ground rather than the just jump up vertically. Less air time, and it's probably easier to practicing timing in unison.

Just my advice.

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Top tip: Don't use an elasticated guitar strap. I saw a friend of mine (who went on to have some success as a guitarist in an indie band) try it once with a mahogany Wal strapped to him, it boinged up and whacked him in the chin, and he landed flat on his back on the one. :D

8. sweet

9. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    After reading the title, I originally thought you were going to ask how to take money from a lame boy band.

10. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    I heard there are some great jumping in sync coaches out there. You really need to look for one who can teach you the fundamentals of bending at the knees and projecting upwards though. A good coach will also teach you how to point your guitars at the audience and rock up and down together, as well as show your drummer how to twirl his sticks.

11. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    RIMSHOT!!

Take My wife...........Please.

Thank you, I'm here all week!
    Don't forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses.

12. rzm61

rzm61

Feb 26, 2008
    Don't forget to try the veal!

13. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    You need a roadie for this to work. Make small platforms for everyone to stand on. Set a 1/4 stick of dynamite under each and set them all to the same switch (this is where the roadie comes in). At the perfect moment have the roadie push the switch.

It's important that you do this to end the last song and BTW, there wil be no encore.

14. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAA I literally lol'ed when I read that.

To the OP: just count the beats in the break, and jump on the same one. Easy.

15. If you come back in on the first count, and you're playing a 4/4 song, jump on 4 land on 1. easy as that

16. chimpbass

chimpbass

Jan 16, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Screw jumping. You're the bass player. You need to be cooler than that.

If I were you, I'd stick with the pelvic thrust in time.

17. 6Hz

6Hz

Jul 12, 2007
    Berkeley, CA
    When I was a kid I sent away for a book explaining the kung-fu secrets of ancient
    chinese monks. The most valuable information was in the "how to jump over a house"
    chapter. The technique used is to start slowly. On the first day, dig a hole one inch deep,
    stand in the hole, and jump out. Next day, dig the hole two inches deep, get in, and
    jump out. Continue this every day, digging the hole one inch deeper and jumping
    out. Before the end of a year, you will be jumping high enough to get over your
    house.

What your band is trying to do is exactly the same. Except without the house. Or the hole.

18. dammit i KNEW i heard a death metal band leap over my house last night...