Any tips on keeping things in your stomach when you have the flu?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by invisiman, Jul 30, 2004.

1. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I've had the flu for a day now here, and I was just wondering id there's any sure fire(or atleast half helpful) ways to keep the food in my stomach in my stomach?
  2. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    If you keep eating food the flu will take longer to go away. Just don't eat much. Maybe a few crackers. Movies and sleep are your best bet though.
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    No, eating will NOT make the flu linger. The important thing is to stay hydrated. Stay away from heavy drinks with lots of sugar. Sour stomachs dont like it. Water is good, Pedialyte is very good but not much taste. As far as foods, listen to your stomach. It will keep food when its ready. Dont force the issue. Crackers and the like will keep you going until this passes. When you feel like eating, start slow, light broth is a good choice.

Fluids is the main thing to keep trying.

Hope you feel better soon.

4. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Soup and crackers.

Water and ginger ale. (Ginger is a natural stomach settler and yes there IS ginger in ginger ale.)
  5. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I was just saying that if you don't have anything in your stomach you can't throw it up.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Chicken soup.

Warm(not hot!!) milk with honey.

(Hot milk would destroy the enzymes of the honey)
  7. I still stand by hot coke with lemon and ginger for general "feel good" type things. Stays down real easy, tastes great, and works wonders on sore throats. :p
  8. id just like to share a story, to act as a warning. i learned the hard way, why you MUST drink as much water as possible.

one fine winter day i had the flu. i had a kitcat and a ham sandwich. nothing to drink.. apart from a glass of milk.
    anyone ever done something similiar? for those that havent - this is like trying to regurgitate a shoe.
    first came the "milk", it came up as a slab of white. acted like jelly, didnt smell half as good, mind. looked like a bar of soap. i spent ages trying to figure it out, what the hell was that?! :eyebrow:
    of course, the closest thing to me was the sink, and lumpy food doesnt disolve well apparently. which led to more vomiting due to touching vomit. :help:

anywho, a few hours later, i'm feeling better, after many glasses of water, i decide i'll fry me up some lunch. i start with an egg. so you're expecting the egg to come back real nasty, right? wrong. as i cracked the shell on the pan, it burst open, and went everywhere BUT the pan. :rollno: and of course, cleaning up icky gooeyness... yep. since i hadnt had anything to eat, it just felt like i had fallen for a fisherman's bait, and his hook had caught my lungs, and he was doing his utmost to wheel in his tasty reward.

anyway, hope you're feeling better. :)
  9. Fluids. Lots of fluids.

If you're having trouble keeping in even just water, try to sip the water and hold it in your mouth for a bit before you swallow.
  10. rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Plenty of fluids you gotta stay hydrated, get yeah some fruit juices something without alot of sugar. Water is good too warm tea if you have a sore throat or a cough, I know some warm green tea always made me feel a little better, thros some lemon on there too. Don't eat anything heavy preferably eat soups as they contain lots of liquid and are usually lighter on your stomach.
  11. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ginger and Peppermint both settle your stomache.
  12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Eat lots of Campbells Chunky Soup. That will give an excellent display of colors and textures. Oh wait!, you didn't want to do the "techicolor yawn!"
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Never stopped my stomach.
  14. odie

odie Supporting Member

What is a kit-kat sandwhich?
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, a kit-kat bar and a hamsandwich, not a kit-cat and ham sandwich.
  16. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Well, everyone decided to post after I went to bed(there was only one response by then). Fortunatley, everything was able to stay down through the night, and my status has been downgraded from flu to sore throat. :hyper:
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    +1. Ginger is great stuff for flu. Chop it up, throw it into boiling water and leave it for 5 minitues. Remove the ginger and throw it in the bin. Use the ginger water to make tea. Add Lemon and honey. Not only will you feel much better, this stuff is easy to regurgitate.

If you're vomiting, I'd say you've got more than just the flu. Go see a quack (doctor)!
  18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'd rather huck up a full stomach than dry heave ever again. It's painful as all hell! Worst feeling ever. I felt better after vomiting up approx. 3 litres of blood (not all in one go, three times in varying amounts totally approx. 3L) than I did after my last dry heave.
  19. I'm telling you, throw 3 - 5 slices of lemon and 2 - 4 slices of ginger in a large mug/small pot with 1 full can of coke, zap to a boil in the 'wave or boil it on the stove, and you've got an excellent soothing sensation for your throat.
  20. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss