Any tobacco pipe smokers??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Oct 7, 2005.

1. I've been smoking cigars for a while but, as you must know if you've smoked any, they can be expensive. I've been considering a tobacco pipe.. The initial investment can be a little but the tobacco is dirt cheap.

Problem is, I dont know where to start. I know I need a pipe tool, some tobacco, and the cleaning utensils. But, I dont know what kind of pipe to start with.. Any suggestions??

P.S. I'm talking about tobacco pipes.. Not "other" tobacco..
  2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    If you take a trip to your local smoke shop i'm sure you'll find something your style. I love using pipdes as a opposed to cigarettes/cigars. (expensive but nice)
  3. Yeah, just trying to get some info before going in there.. Are you saying pipe smoking is MORE expensive than cigarettes/cigars??

Just curious, how long does each smoke last??
  4. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    real tabacco?
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd kinda like to know too. I really like my cigars, but they are just so much more expensive. One cigar is 10, but a 10 dollar bit of pipe tobacco is a lot mroe.
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I've got a wooden Roma made in Italy that I like real well.

Whatever you get look for a pipe with a heavier bowl. Thin bowled pipes look kool and are lighter but you get a little bit cooler smoke from a heavier bowl. They are also more comfortable to hold because they absorb more heat.

7. How much could I look at spending on my initial investment??
  8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    no no no its far less. I meant cigars (like you stated earlier) are nice but more expensive.
  9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Anywhere from $50 to hundreds if you want to.

Lighter (yeah, there's lighters just for pipes if you want to use them)

Tons of accesories really.

When I started several years ago my total initial investment was about $100.

10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I was really into pipe smoking for a while.

I enjoyed it, but smoking a pipe can be so time consuming that after a couple of months I noticed myself doing it less and less often.

I love the smell and taste of a good blend. But whew. I just found myself wearing down.

I'd like to pick it up again soon. It's just hard to motivate myself to get a new pipe and some tobacco

11. This may be a dumb question but whats time consuming about it?? cleaning the pipe, packing it with tobacco, etc...?? or just the fact that a pipe smoke can like 15min +?
  12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It isn't exactly like a sigarette, you have to clean it, fill properly etc etc.
  13. BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Most Pipe tobacco has a much more pleasant scent due to the casings used, but some of the pipe tobacco's have as many additives as cigarettes. Buyer beware.

I recommend Peterson, Dunhill and Jorn Larsen freehands are nice too.

Having said that

I sold my 30 piece pipe collection for $3,500.00 when I quit smoking in 1982 and never regretted it. :hyper:
  14. I smoke cigarettes right now. What I really need to do is not worry about the pipe and quite all the smoking all together.. Cigars, cigarettes, pipe.. Honestly, its just hard.. Playing in bars.. Being bored out of my mind when I'm driving.. etc...

I dont have a bad temper but I can be a bit "bull"ish sometimes. Im afraid if I quit cold turkey, I'll be ripping some heads off.
  15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Try Frog Morton or Frog on the Town. Good stuff.
  16. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I would often smoke on on pipe-fill for 20+minutes.

My pipe was rounded, like most, and I couldn't really set it down without fear of it tipping and I couldn't hold it in my mouth comfortably at all.

Basically, it took a while to smoke, and it was too cumbersome to do much of anything else while smoking it.

Nice to just relax with, but not convenient if you want to do anything else...
  17. He means no wacky tobacky.

I gave up the real kind, but the other kind is still fine in my book.
  18. BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005

The physiological effects are over in 10 days.
    Then it's just will power.
    "We don't need no stinking patches!"

I would definitely forget about pipes and quit cigarettes.
    Unfortunately the one reinforces the other.
  19. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i bought a thirty dollar pipe that is my favorite, but normally the more costly ones smoke better.
    that being said, there are corncobs and cherrywood ones that cost very little and smoke well. they just tend to burn out quicker...they also lack 'panache', FWIW.
    my tobacco costs about $3 an ounce, and, since i don't smoke but a bowl-ish a day, it lasts rather a while.
    (i still prefer the wacky, but since i pp-test now, i must refrain...:spit:)

no tobacco is better than any form, but if yer gonna do it...
    ...avoid dipping!
    i still have eroded gums from it.
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If I smoked, this would be my method. I sometimes go into Tobacco land in the mall just to smell the many smells... mmmmmm.