Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Tobias experts out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevinlane, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    I just bought a Tobias Classic 5
    It's serial is #2145 and is supposed to be a '95 model. I think that's when Gibson took over.

Does this sound right?

Can I go somwhere and research this serial number??

It has the walnut(almost red) wings with 5 piece neck thru maple and walnut neck and, I think, a wenge board. The tone plate?(the wood that's sandwiched in the body) is deffinately wenge. The guy that I boulght it form said that this guitar is Walnut/Bubinga/and Wenge, but theneck for sure has maple in it. I know the Bubinga is red, but this grain is fairly straight. Isn't bubinga very curly or not straight grained?

I like the ergonomics but not sure if I like the darker tone?? I thinks that's the walnut talking.

By the way , why are the Gibson Tobias models not as well respected. This guitar is a nice one , but I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea. TonightI 'll try it through my rig, and I'll know more then.

Thanks in advance ,

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    If I'm not mistaken, Mike Tobias has all that info on his website. Check it out...

http://www.mtdbass.com

By the way, if you're getting the bass to PLAY, forget whether or not it's pre or post-Gibson. A good bass is a good bass, and I've played many Gibson Tobias basses that were every bit as nice as the pre-Gibsons.

Now if you're buying the bass as an investment...different story....

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I wrote to (emailed) Mke Tobias about my bass and he was able to give me quite a lot of information about it and I think this is the difference : pre -Gibson, every bass was a "one-off" and built by hand, by a small group of dedicated individuals who knew what made a great bass.

I have a classic and what made it different from the "basic" model was the laminate top, instead of just solid body wings. Also, the truss rod cover and electronics cavity cover were cut from matching wood.

Mine is #1274. 5 string classic.

5. Hey Brad... I have a Classic 5 that is almost the same as yours (my fret board is Pau Ferro). What is the SN on your bass. Did Mike tell you that he only made 4-5 of them with a Padauk top (I am assuming it's a pre-Gib.). He wanted to buy mine back a few years ago...

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The Padauk topped 5 is #308. It's different from most Tobiases;)

7. Looks pretty similar. Looks like he added a wenge strip between the top and body on the one I own - but didn't add the Alembic-esque cutaway in the back; that is different (looks pretty cool). Mine is #927. Maybe we can compare them one day - I would love to hear the tone of yours.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Here's the other one...#196