Any tonal differences between Ampeg PF-500 and the Ampeg SCR-DI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bongostealth, Sep 23, 2016.

1. For those of you that own both, or have owned/played both at some point, are there any noticeable tonal differences between these two products? If so, which of the two do you prefer, if any? I've always liked Ampeg and I'm trying to decide between the two. I know that there are obvious practical and functional differences. But I'm mostly interested in the tonal differences, if any.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Does it count if you have the PF800 instead? Same preamp, just more wattage. Anyway, I have both, and there are things I like about both, but I prefer the EQ section in the PF800 because of the mid selector...the mids in the SCR are set at 500 hz, which is a good choice, but I like using 800 hz better, plus you get 4 other choices for a mid frequency center. If I had to sell one, it would be the SCR-DI and I'd keep the 800. Fortunately, I don't have to sell one :D

bongostealth and rickwebb like this.
  3. So no real difference in tone even when running through the DI on each?

4. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

There is a big difference. The SCR-DI has the same preamp as the PF-350, not the PF-500 plus the Scrambler.

The mid control is a big difference. The PF-500 (and 800) use an active inductor based mid boost and cut with a 5 position swich to select the frequency the mid operates at.

The SCR-DI does not use the inductor but has two mid circuits, one a boost and one a cut and the mid control just sweeps between the boosted mids and the notched mids.

The PF-500 and 800 use a mosfet preamp run at a rather high 60vdc. The SCR-DI is standard op amp input.

bongostealth likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Well both sound like Ampeg, but yeah, there's a difference.

6. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    My non-technical brain felt the air move, as this went over my head...

This, I understood!

bongostealth likes this.
  7. I find it fairly easy to find "my sound" live with my pf-500. The scr-di I've had a lot of fun with playing through headphones and recording with through DI, but plugging it into the effects return on my pf-500 and running the whole rig with it it's not something I've been able to do too well. I'm sure it's great for that, I just haven't cracked it yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll use it in a band practice again, but exclusively as a fuzz pedal. It's been mentioned before that the mid frequency is set to 500 Hz on the scr-di, but the pf-500 has a mid selector, which I like at either the highest or lowest frequencies live. If Steve is right, as well, the amps also have a different topology, one being MOSFET and the other running on op-amps. This is a difference, but they're both week designed circuits imo.

So yeah, they're both different. But I like having both. After all, I can't play my pf-500 at midnight after work, or at just I never bothered with the headphone feature on it.

bongostealth likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021