1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any tone love for a public transport bound londoner??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spector29, Mar 12, 2008.

1. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    Hi all,
    I need to ask a good question.
    I'm moving to London, very shortly and as we know with traffic I won't have a car and will rely on public transport.
    I will have my bass (1986 MIJ Fender P-Bass) and a couple of pedals (B:ASSMASTER and planet waves tuner).
    Now I may be involved with a few different bands over there (I've been in contact, everything from Metal to Folk) now because of this I need something versatile and light and would most likely prefer a modeling pedal to achieve many rigs but I'm as I know from being a live sound engineer that most small - medium venues don't really have great gear for monitoring especially, (I mix in Perth Australia, Big Day Out local stage, Southbound etc).
    I mean basically I need a good preamp, D.I. and compressor but would like a delay or two.
    I'd love an amp but I'm afraid most Markbass like amps are too expensive and still too difficult to transport on buses and trains, plus my P in it's case is 9.5 kgs.

What do you think???

I looked at the Line 6 X3 live (luckily most problems are solved)
    The rocktron Utopia B100 (just can't find any info)
    Or i thought of an EBS Microbass II
    an MXR M-80
    or a BBE BMax and then run my fuzz etc out front and the DI to th FOH and hear it all back in my monitor.
    But again no delays.

It's a bastard as I love recording and pedal tweaking but need to spend as little as possible. My budget is at most $600.00 USD.

This is bugging me, I've thought of many things but they all have downfalls. I think the most versatile in the X3 Live but reliability down the line bugs me.

Matt,
    Sorry for the long post.

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Wow, you're all over the place!

If I were you, I'd concentrate on getting one ot two great sounds rather than several average ones, so I don't think I'd do modeling. I would get a decent preamp with a DI built in and a blendable effects loop. I have the Microbass II and I like it quite well, but I don't use it as a preamp but as an AB box with tone and level controls so I can match my upright with the electric and only run one DI. However, it's got a quite good distortion built into it, a great DI equal to a Radial, and has a lot of tone shaping. It's not the first thing I think of when I think of preamps, but it's small and sounds great.

3. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    Haha yeah I can't stay in one place for very long, a problem when you don't have a girlfriend and any possessions apart from a bass and clothes.

I understand what you mean in regards to a few great tones.
    The EBS sounds a lot more versatile but I've heard certain points where (I think) you can only use the mid frequency on the channel that has distortion.
    I've never heard off the bass buddy and I'm not sure if I want to try it plus I probably wouldn't find it anywhere.
    Are there any other options???
    I just found the Radial Bassbone as I know Radial make great DI's.
    But do you know if you can use the 2 separate channels on one bass???
    I'd love an extra distortion though, I love distortion. Especially since I've got my wacked out B:ASSMASTER.

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    True about the EBS, but you can use both channels on one bass. Plus the flat sound is where it's at on that unit. The only tone shaping I ever do is rolling off a little bit of bass response from my upright.

And I think you can use both channels on one bass with the Radial as well.

5. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    Been reading up on the Bassbone, it looks kinda like what i need or want and is cheaper than the microbass II.
    But one thing, (yes I am a sound guy) but how do I use the fx loop, I might have gone stupid as i'm quite tired and it's getting late but I mean a Y-split cable isn't my idea of useful and don't I need an in and out as my pedals effect the signal coming in and spits it out the other end.
    I've confused myself.

Now I'm worried about dodgy monitor systems or even lack of any low end in some P.A's now, maybe a small preamp, power and 12" cab or a small combo.
    Jeez this is annoying.

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    With the Bassbone, you use a stereo Y adapter, and one hookup on the Y is your send and the other is your return. I agree, kind of unwieldy. Plus you have to use Radial's 15vAC power supply, whereas the Microbass II uses a 9v battery, a 9v power supply, or phantom power. That was a big reason I went with the Microbass over the Bassbone.

A 1x12 combo isn't a bad way to go, either. I have one...mine is the Markbass. But Genz Benz also makes a good one with the Shuttle. You get a high power head, a 12", and a quality DI with both.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You should check out the Roland Cube 100, which is amazingly loud for a compact 1x12 with only 100 watts. It has a DI, compressor, models, and effects including delay. The compressor seems decent, though the amp seems to have some inherent compresssion (maybe Roland's Feed Forward Processing) with the compressor off.

Some of the models sound good and will get you some grit/overdrive, so they're useful. But in my opinion the effects aren't very good. They can sound harsh and seem to reduce the amp's low end, but some of the harshness will disappear in a band mix. I have used them occasionally though, and it's nice to have them in a pinch so they might be good for your situation. The DI can be pre- or post-EQ and effects, which is useful.

8. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    Yeah Im not so sure if I can bother with effects now, just quality issues with them in certain boxes.
    I think a good preamp and DI is at least the go, If I need a Delay then I'll just get a DD-? from ebay used.

I've used the roland cube before but find it quite sterile and I'm mainly looking for a good sound that I can also monitor, so a good preamp/ DI but If I find a nice combo I will only be using this for a monitor system.

Hmmm.

Does anyone else who plays just catch public transport around??
    How do you go?