1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Tower of Power Fans here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 21, 2006.

1. That's probably a ridiculous question on Talkbass since everybody knows of the genius of Rocco Prestia. That said, I was interested in hearing some folks' thoughts/faves.

I was just listening to "Pocketful of Soul" from the Oakland Zone CD. (LISTEN to this.)

Stupid, sick, incredible grooves. :scowl:

2. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Big time fan since they were pumping albums out in the 70's. I especially like the instrumental "Squib Cakes", particularly the live version.

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Rocco is a huge influence on me.

I think i've got all the tower of power albums up until rocco left in teh 70s except for bump city... The live and in living colour album has a quick version of what is hip... with lots of cool double stops...

I love the simple bass line to drop it in the slot:D its classic! but not so typical of other rocco.

The live album from 1998 or so i think it is rhythm and business? is fantastic! his chops sound so effortless...

4. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Love rocco's grooving and ghosting, there live stuff rules!

5. matt hunt

matt hunt

Dec 16, 2005
    London
    You have got to see them live to fully appreciate just how great they are!! Seen them twice now and was blown away by how tight they were.

6. I agree. This may sound wacky but ... They don't even sound like a band --they sound like one big intricate instrument. They are that locked and that tight. (To hear Rocco and Dave groove together borders on the sublime!)

The other thing is that they have a lot of fun onstage -- they're not tightassed. They groove hard and they get a big kick out of seeing the audience enjoying it.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Count me in, IotaNet! Tower Of Power is a band that never ceases to amaze me. Such tightness gives me chills every time I listen to them.

8. another one overhere.. TOP rules!!

9. Hola,
    I've had the Honor and priviledge to have met One of my MAIN influences on about 4 occasion's, and the thing that stuck out the most, was he was'nt on a "Star Trip", and was gracious with his time after the shows. He has been my teacher through the years, picking (trying) up what little I can of those Funky and Rythmic lines! What a Cat!

Bobbo 77'

10. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    +1. I saw TOP with Rocco and Dave Garibaldi on drums last summer. WOW! Rocco's technique is something to see live. So economical for what he manages to play. Must be a lot of left hand stuff going on there as well but hard to pick out.

11. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I can never get enough of T.O.P. If you go to www.strokeland.com you can find all kinds of funk and bumb CD's, not just by T.O.P. by the members own CD's and a host of other groups that the Doc represents.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    TOP fan here!!

:)

13. I got to see them a few years back in Jazz Alley in Seattle. It was a treat to see David Garibaldi with them! I sat just off the side of the stage next to DG, and a couple feet away from Rocco. Man, that was sweet! Couldn't get enough.

"Souled Out" is a cool tune, too, IMO, since we're picking fave's!:bassist:

14. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    + another 1. Since I saw them live in the 70's, I have known what tightness really means.

15. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    ....yep another TOP fan here!

I saw 'em in Chicago and in Detroit...right about the time I was diggin' Louis Johnson so I was ALL about the bass. Rocco is a beast, and I for one, am glad to hear his surgery went well and he's back out on tour !

Also can't wait to see the Conklin/Prestia signature bass!!:hyper:

16. Rocco is da man!!

Love TOP, I've seen them a few times.

17. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    He's absolutely my favorite guy. His feel is amazing.

18. I've heard a lot of good things about these guys, but haven't heard any of their stuff yet.
    How about a little info? What kind of music is it? Best songs/albums?

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA