Any tower of power junkies?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Slot, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Any huge tower of power fans?

If so, whats your fav song and what song's have had the most influece on your playing?

The song's that influenced my playing the most, would have to be either 'only so much oil' or one of their instrumentals 'walkin up hip street'. Mainly because these are some of the 1st "real" basslines i ever got down, back when i was 15/16. But rocco's "b7 chromatic 1" approach to bass playing is something that really influenced me, and it was a great building block for me when i was 1st learning to make up line's up on the spot.

My all time fav power song would have to be "cant you see(you're doin me wrong)" .....the whole band is smoking on that track.

Whats your favs?
  2. I only got "Soul Vaccination" but i love it. My fav. track would be "You've got to funkifize".

I would so love to play more like Rocco does. Imho he really got the groove and sound quite "innovative" to me. Do you have any advice how i could play a bit more like him? Every little bit is highly appreciated.
  3. Futterman

Feb 12, 2003
    Tower of Power rules.

My old drum instructor first got me into them, i started off on drums when i was about 14, and he had this book called "advance funk studies" had some cool stuff in it, but at the end of the book it had some sections with drum transcripts, stuff from steve gadd, Harvey Mason ect, but then had some beats and fills to some of the power of tower songs, i think it was Ebony Jam, the first song i learned, after that i was hooked, i bough there "back to oakland" cd and was on my way.

After, when i started playin bass, i tryed hard to get rocco's stuff down, and thats all i was listening to, still today trying to get most of his lines down :meh: :crying:

"diggin on james brown" is one of my favs, so meny favorites by TOP, so really i'd say i digg them all
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    TOP lover here!
    Knock yourself out (live)
    Squib cakes
    Soul vaccination
    Your still a young man
    This time it's real
    Willing to learn
    Below us, all the city lights
  5. hmm, let's see:
    What is hip,
    You've got to Funkifize
    Down to the nightclub
    Soul with a capital S
    Funk the dumb stuff (don't really like the way it's recorded though)
    Diggin On James Brown
    Don't change horses (in the middle of a stream)

Rocco rules!!! :hyper: :bassist:
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I love TOP man.. they are so great

Squib Cakes is one of my favorite songs to listen to...
    Your still a young man... everytime I hear that song I have to stop what i'm doing and listen, however i'm usually driving when that happens

What is hip of course is a favorite (my band covers it often as well)

Soul vacintation, you got to funkafize, down to the nightclub.. they are all so great

However, I recently saw their 1998 DVD, dang these dudes look so 80s it was sad. I know its not about the look, but I was a bit shocked at seeing these fat old white dudes up there looking rough... but playing with so much soul.. still a good dvd worth watching
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i love ToP and Rocco; Garibaldi as well.

The DVD is OK. Ohne Filter could do better on all of the vid's that they do.

Supposedly, there is another vid in the works.
  8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Clever Girl was actually the first song that my bassteacher gave me to study at home, talking about a serious start-off :meh: I don't know any other ToP songs, maybe it's time to get to know them in a proper way...
  9. TOP are maybe the band that influences my band most.
    I LOVE diggin on james brown, and soul with a capitol s. And I love playing em live.
  10. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hell yeah, TOP rock! Rocco is one guy I dont listen to a whole lot, but I still love him..funky as all hell and doesnt slap