1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Traben bass players out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Want a 9, May 17, 2011.

1. Howdy folks. I got a chance to spend a few minutes playing on a used Traben Chaos Attack model 5 string bass. I was quite impressed with this bass, the two massive humbuckers, 5-way pickup selector and active electronics seems to make this a versatile and powerful sound bass. I don't think I have ever seen a Traben bass till I crossed paths with this one at my local guitar shop. I'm debating whether or not to pull the trigger on this bass.

Does anyone play a Traben Chaos model 5 string bass? What are your opinions on them? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    I don't have a Chaos Attack, but own both a Havoc and Chaos Core that are both fantastic basses for the money. I never looked twice at Traben until the Havoc, Chaos Core, Chaos Attack, etc models came out a few years back. If the two I own are any indication of the Chaos Attack's awesomeness, I wouldn't be scared to pull the trigger. How much are they asking for it if you don't mind me asking?

3. Bogster,

I don't know how much they store will ask for the bass. The manager of the store may end up buying it. He took it home to try it out. The bass never made up on the wall for customers to look at. I wouldn't have even known about them getting the bass in except I happened to walk in right after the previous owner traded it in. The store owner and his son (a store employee) were trying it out right after I got there.

I'll see what happens. I still may have a chance to buy it. Maybe. :ninja:

4. Thanks for the links Skip. I assume this is Skip from Knucklehead basses? :)

5. LilloEsquilo

LilloEsquilo Banned

Nov 8, 2009
    If you like it, you should buy it for the right price. They are as you said very versatile with great tone. Very good playability. If you can get it for the right price, go for it. The resale on these is horrible, so be sure you like it before you plunk down your cash, but if you do, and the price is right, I'd say get it.

6. Skip is knuckle_head. I'm kG. No relation. But he's awesome, I'll take you confusing us as a compliment.

7. I've had a couple of Trabens, an older Torrent and an Array. The Torrent was bought used about three years ago, so I assume it would be about four to six years old; it was a great bass in every respect, with a beautiful quilt maple top under trans amber, and I regret selling it.

The second one, the Array, I bought new about two-three years ago, and it blew. Horrible. Total POS, again in every regard. Don't know why I bought it. Pawned it off on a guitarist 'friend' for fifty bucks and was glad to be rid of it.

So I think Traben can be sort of hit-and-miss, or maybe they just had a really bad run when I bought my Array, or maybe I got a lemon. I would definitely consider Traben again, based on my experiences with the Torrent, but since I currently play an American Deluxe for my 'traditional' bass and an ESP LTD F-414 for my 'rawk' bass, I don't feel the need to consider any other basses at this time.

8. Ooops. Sorry about that knucklehead G. ;)

Honest mistake on my part.

9. abemcconnell

abemcconnell

Jun 26, 2011
    Damascus, VA
    I'm new to Bass (I've been playing around 2 years). I picked up a Traben Array Limited as my first bass and I love it. I think it holds up to many more expensive basses I've tried. I'm getting ready to pick up a 5 string and I'm greatly considering the Chaos Core.

Want a 9, I'm just down the street from you in Damascus. Do you play a lot locally?