1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Trace Elliot Experts Here? Identify a Pre?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by number11, Jun 29, 2012.

1. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    I got an old TE pre amp, and would liek to know how old or what mark it is please, if anyone knows?

Thanks in advance

tepre.

I looked inside, no date or anything that i can see.

2. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    is it not marked gp11 on the right upper front side?. I have a gp11 but it looks to be a newer version than yours.

3. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I'd guess it is a GP11 preamp...

I have a head with the GP11 MKV, and I think there was also a MKIV. You have the earliest version of the GP11 there it looks like.

4. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    I had an -81 AH 500 head. It has that kind of pre amp. Very well made nice and reliable pre, although not as nice as a good tube pre. Some components may have a date (week and year: wwyy). Namely the pots, electrolyte caps, IC-chips.

5. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    Thank you all for the replies - I should've worded the question better, though!

:) I know its a GP11, and as I have a mark V head, I know its earlier than that.

I had a loan of a MKIV 150 watt head, and its earlier than THAT too, so I suppose what I was really asking is if anyone can tell me if its a MKi,II or III?

Also quite cool is the fact that Steve Harris of Iron Maiden owned it!

6. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    One man's light etc!!

:)

Funny, I don't like tubes for bass, personally, and I'm really enjoying the directness of the sound on this!

Thanks for tip RE the dates, i'll have another look-see!

:)

7. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    Apparently its MKII?

8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Early, pre-USA distributed Trace Elliot GP11 preamp. The first units that were distributed officially in America were Mark IV units (and they were freakin' awesome!)