1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

any Trace fans?...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Psychicpet, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
  2. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    ?:eyebrow:

:smug:

3. Awesome. Thankyou for linking that. I have been looking for a new Trace Demo for sooo long. That might've been the push I needed. AH1000-12, 1048 and 1818 here I come.

4. Thanx for posting it. Definately won't be buying one o' those amps!!!!

5. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    HA! I bought one!!
    ...along with my V4BH, one of my faves!!
    Come to think of it, so is my 3PRO, my Neo-Pak, and my
    incredible Mesa.

So, see, the thing is...to me, the video meant shquat!

Didn't dig the player; didn't dig the sound (my bad-my laptop; his bad-his skillz)
    Didn't dig it.

Doesn't sound like that when I play, doesn't lay like that in my mix.

The AH-500 7 is one impressive piece of gear if you ask me.
    PUNCH for days, impact, and the compressor is a thing of beauty.

The main reason, I think that Trace has not had more popularity these days is due to the "checkered" history w/Gibson, and more so, coming out with product in the wave of micro heads- It's an old-school 30-something pound SS head...

I originally went to pick-up a LMII, and on a whim, plugged & played the Trace, right next to it.
    (My experience with using Trace-Elliot had been very limited before these versions.)

That was it for me. I loved what it did and how it sounded.
    NOT SS sterile, not brittle, not too hi-fi.

We all have our likes/dislikes.

I like the new Trace very much.
    ...Maybe I should make a video...:D

6. Layers3

Layers3

Sep 14, 2007
    Finland
    I'm doing gigs & stuff with that head with a mesa cab.

The pre-shape is mighty, still I usually put some mids in with the eq. As someone noted way back, the compressor is a nice when not cranked up too much.:meh:

7. Ive used that amp quite a bit at practice.

It sounds better, and im not even a huge TE fan.

What ive found out about the amp (IMO):
    Always deactivate pre-shape, the graphic EQ can give you every sound you want, the pre-shape sounds like ass to my ears :p

If using the compressor, going over about 25% because too compressed sounding.

8. I think it's a great example of how not to market an instrument, amp, etc.

Horrible, horrible audio (why do people insist on using youtube?), taken from horrible mic location/input source to begin with. While I'm not particularly impressed with the playing/arrangement for the purpose of demonstration, the whole mess is just made worse from the audio -- beginning to end.

C'mon, you're trying to sell an amp your business provides! Get your act together before "going to print"!

9. K-T

K-T

May 25, 2007
    tasmania, australia
    big +1 i know, you-tube's audio SUCKS!!! big time, a $20 amp demo on you tube sounds the same as a $2000 one on you tube.:rollno:

10. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    cool, points taken. and my 2-bits:

as for crap audio, ya, that's a bit of the camera mic/bit of YouTube but the point in the reviews/demos I try to do is do it fairly lo-fi and no post production, just a video camera in front of gear so that there aren't any illusions as to if it's 'sweetened' afterwards or not. And that's just my take on it. It's to show the gear, give an idea of it, and get people out to check the stores.
    On this one there is more compression happening from the camera mic and distortion artifacts before the camera's mic compressor kicks in but I've heard plenty of crap audio from other more 'valid' sources that have their "acts" together. Besides, when watching product demos on YouTube and taking into account the medium I'm watching on, I usually can put two and two together and get the gist of the product even in unsavory mix conditions...

and again, as for getting my act together, sorry it pissed you off so much, maybe next time, for you, I'll try harder mmkay?
    less Joe Lunchbox and more TB'er?

11. Have to say that ive heard a few videos which have had pretty good audio recordings on youtube.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    How about everyone relax a bit, OK?

Personally, I got an idea of what the new Trace was about from the vid and for that I thank you. BTW, it was better than some of the professionally made stuff I have seen/heard.

13. All cool. Everyones got their OWN opinions & ears :) I've not liked ANY T.E's I've tried, but I've also NOT tried the All tube T.E's. I just didn't like the sound o' that one- computer says NO! cough!!!!! U tube etc all plays it's part.
    AS I said- I aint getting one o those NOR am I buying ANY other amp for the forseeable future. What I got now I'm MORE than happy with!