Any Trip Hop Fans on TB?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brent's Groove, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Brent's Groove

Brent's Groove

Mar 14, 2007
    Virginia
    I've always liked trip hop, but I'm just recently actively listening to it. There's a lot of great stuff going on: more harmonic freedom than rock music, more elaborate rhythms than hip hop, and it's all full of synthetic house/techno timbres.

I just wanted to know if anyone else is listening to it. If so, tell me about some good acts, records, or albums.

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i love it, but i need to listen to it more. i would love a list of trip hop bands to check out, besides the obvious Portishead and Massive Attack...

like you, i find it to be a very pleasing mix of genres.

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I dig it. Check out the Sneaker Pimps album Becoming X

4. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Tricky. :)

5. Brent's Groove

Brent's Groove

Mar 14, 2007
    Virginia
    +Infinity

6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    tricky and massive attack are great. i would also saya lot of what dj shadow could be grouped in with trip hop.

dj shadow-"entroducing" is an awesome album to check out

but one of my favorite albums ever of any genre is portishead's "live in nyc".....amazing album!!!!!

7. i don't know much about it, but i do like what i have heard so far--i'd love to hear more!

8. J.D.B.

J.D.B.

Mar 11, 2007
    Michigan
    Don't forget the '96 Soul Coughing stuff. Super bon bon's bass riff rules!

Josh

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Does Morcheeba wander into this realm at times?

10. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Trip hop is one of my favorite types of music. I"m into bands like Thievery Corporation, Air, LTJ Bukem,Caia, Audiomontage Moorcheeba, Sounds From the Ground, and many others. I have to check out live365.com to really here it since its not radio friendly to everyone.

11. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I wouldn't really call LTJ Bukem trip hop, but he rules.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Morcheeba
    Zero7
    Supreme Beings of Leisure
    Tricky
    Massive Attack
    Sneaker Pimps...

etc, etc...

and their kindred spirits like AIR with baroque electronica elements and DJ Shadow with his turntablist stylings and Portishead with their cinematic qualities, to Bill Laswell with his dubby aesthetic...yes, I love the genre and it never gets old, regardless of how "in fashion" it isn't anymore.

13. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    A bit of a vague genre, this one. Silent Poets from Japan did some great stuff on their first few albums, as did France's DJ Cam. DJ Krush had some nice stuff as well. Then there's all of the Mo' Wax and Ninja Tune releases. One of the best has to be Funki Porcini's "Hed Phone Sex". There was also an English group called Sandals which I would classify as "trip-hopish" ("Rite To Silence" was a very underrated album) who were quite different and incorporated more live instruments then was the norm.

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Also, check out Hooverphonic. totally awesome.

15. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    +1 on that. That is a very good album. Too bad they broke up.

16. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    hmmm, I really don't consider Soul Coughing trip hop so much as drum n bass acid jazz but I can see it. But I love tha Coughing...

"the Idiot Kings" is in my top 5 fave songs, ever, hands down.

17. Brent's Groove

Brent's Groove

Mar 14, 2007
    Virginia
    Even though they kinda border on downtempo, I think Zero 7 is one of the greatest thinks that's ever happened to my life. Lulz

18. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    Love it, couldn't tell you too many names of songs or the bands though I do recognize most of the band names mentioned so far. but I love it. that is usually what I have Pandora set on.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021