1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any tube-powered, fuzz pedals w/ germanium transistors out there?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gibsualdo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    The subject pretty much says it all really. At the moment, I'm using my EHX English Muff'n, loaded with two 12AX7's. With the gain cranked I find I can get a pretty satisfactory fuzz-ish sound out of it, but I'd still like to go that one step (or even leap) further and get a dedicated fuzz pedal. I was thinking about test-driving the Dunlop Hendrix Classic Fuzz, when I considered how awesome the English Muffin' might sound if it too had germanium transistors. For the record, my knowledge of electronics is pretty much non-existant, but I have noticed that germanium-assisted fuzz pedals are usually at the top end of the price range (Colorsound Tonebender and Analogman's Sun Face for instance). I gather this is due to them producing a very authentic sounding fuzz, the first ones built contained germaniums AFAIK. If anyone knows of a pedal with these qualities (germaniums and at least one 12AX7), please feel free to share this knowledge with us :)

And yes, I have searched... and searched...... and searched :D

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Why not just get a boost or fuzz pedal? Perhaps something based on germanium transistors?

You could then push your Muff'n from overdrive to fuzz, making it doubly useful.

3. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    You probably want germanium transistors OR tubes, not both in one pedal. If I were you, I'd pick up a separate fuzz pedal, and if you like germ trannies, then go with that. There's no real reason for both, and I doubt they'd exist, since most germ fuzz pedals are probably expected to be running into tube amps.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Uh. transistors and tubes both play the same function in a fuzz/od pedal, don't they? If im not wrong they both add gain, and clip. Perhaps a germanium fuzz is all you need. Feed that into the English Muff'n.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Yes, the tubes and the transistors perform the same function, so there's plenty of pedals with one or the other, but I don't know of any with both. That would be kind of unnecessary, I think.

7. A tube overdrive with built in germanium transistor boost! That souns like a really great idea! A bit expensive though, I imagine...

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    EHX makes a germanium OD.

9. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Which I will be demo'ing on Tuesday, with a review out that night or Wednesday.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Cream Pie is a germanium based pedal

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    My DHA VT2 has 2 tubes plus switchable silicon or germanium diodes... Doesn't sound much like a fuzz though. The VT1 Mk3 also has this feature but with one tube.

You're better off working out what sound you want and finding a pedal that'll get you there rather than narrowing down your selection to 'anything with a tube and a germanium transistor inside it'. I am currently interested in the Hendrix fuzz or the Turbo Rat to get some Timmy C / Kim Gordon distortion sounds, for example.

12. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    Thanks for the input, folks. You've been very helpful :) I think for now, I'll probably just go with a regular germanium fuzz pedal, then experiment with it both on it's own and running into the English Muff'n. I'm looking forward to hearing the EHX Germanium OD, those DHA pedals look quite interesting too, I may have to look into getting a 'Bob the Blender' valve looper and/or 'Fuzzy Feeling'. Also the Hendrix Fuzz and Turbo Rat, will definitely be something to check out too, both seem to be getting pretty good reviews. I know the Rat isn't a dedicated fuzz, nor germanium, but if it can match up to the others, then I'd have no problem buying one.