Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any UK tb'ers going to Music Live @ NEC tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Toasted, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    I was gonna check it out but at £12 a ticket i think its alittle to pricey

Last time i went(about 2 years ago)the show was dominated by DJ and mixing equipment as i recall there was only 1 bass stand from the bass center and they did have anything too special

if your off there tommrow let us know what its like bass gear wise and if you think its worth checking out i might pop over on sunday for a few hours

Cheers
    Thonk

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Me and my brother went to last year's show. We really went just to see Michael Manring and Steve Lawson play. Apart from that, there was very little of interest to bassplayers. There certainly wasn't much stuff available to try out. Ashdown, for example, didn't have any amps available to try - they were just selling off lots of Electric Blue practice combos and other cheaper items. The only Warwick basses available to try were the Rockbass range, etc.

I won't be going this year.

Thonk, how were the Yellowjackets?

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i thought it was pretty cool last year. ill review it here tomorrow night

4. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Thanks Toastedweed i look forward to reading your report on the show :)

let me know if you spot any GT-7 or GTDB-7's there im dying to try one :bassist:

Hey David sorry for the delay in postting about the yellowjackets gig

its a shame you could'nt make it you missed a great gig jimmy and the boys played a great set with tunes mostly from times squared but with some of there older tunes like clairs song thrown in as well

jimmy had a few nice spots during the night and i was suprised to see him on a fretted roscoe 6 for the whole show with not a fretless in sight!

highlights of the show(for me anyways)where Monk's Habit(jimmy's 3 mins+ walking/line solo in that tune was a killer)"Go Go"(where Marcus Baylor and jimmy really showed off how well they play together)and the 2nd set closer "The Evening News" where jimmy had a good 3/4 mins of soloing space to strech out(its totaly wacky watching him play left handed and upsidedown lol)

i only got chance to see 1 encore "revelation" as i had to leave to get the last bus(so if anyone else reading this went let me know if they came back on for any more)

as for picture's im sorry to say i only managed to get 1 clean shot :((digital cams suck for life subjects) so here ya go

http://www.gizmosplace.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/yellowjackets.JPG

all in all a great night i hope they come back soon.

Laters
    Thonk

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thonk,
    Thanks for the review! It's great to know that there's another fusion fan in the Midlands! Was there a good turn-out for the gig? The rennovated Glee Club is a really nice venue.

Jimmy Haslip has been using a Roscoe bass for some time now - I'd would have loved to have heard one live and up-close.

[​IMG]

Toastedweed,
    Hope you've had a good time at Musiclive. Give us a report on any interesting stuff you've seen!

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hey guys... it was cool. nice amps at the ashdown stand... actual SWR at the fender stand... bassergy basses amazing as always... simms custom was one of the best stands there, despite being only a table and 6 guitars.

pictrues tomorrow

7. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Thanks for the report

i look forward to seeing the pic's
    where there any good players demo'ing the gear there?

Cheers
    Thonk