Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any unhappy millenia td-1 owners???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BullCityBass, Aug 9, 2005.

1. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
  2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've sold quite a few TD-1's and I have yet to have one come back. Everyone who trys them ends up falling in love.

One caution, if you are looking for a pre amp that colors your sound - the TD-1 definitely is not for you. These, as well as the STT-1 with the transformer out of the circuit, are about as transparent as you are going to find. I personally like that but some people want their pre-amp to add it's own flavor.

You could always rent one for a bit to decide if the TD-1 is really the one for you. That is probably your safest bet.

I hope that is helpful.

3. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    I absolutely love the sound of millenia gear. All the reviews I have read and sounds I have heard coming out of them make me drool...

Joel, will it drive a QSC PLX ok?

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    It sure will. I have a few guys who are using PLX power amps with Millennia front ends. Beyond the sound alone another nice thing about that combo is that you end up with a relatively light weight and portable rig.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    trick question, right? :eyebrow: :smug: :D

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Uh...no.

You sound like a totally normal bass player to me.

:cool:

7. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    yes, it was..... but in my apparent desperation I figured I would at least try. :D

I pretty much know anyone with a TD-1 isnt going to part with it...

8. You're not crazy. If you're using big SS power (like your PLX) and want something that won't get in the way of the sound of your instrument then the Millenia gear is as good as it gets. Of course it is equally great with a big tube power amp, right Joel?

I currently use both the TD-1 and the STT-1. The TD-1 is very flexible as a preamp and has exceptional DI flexibility. The STT-1 give you a little more EQ control and comp/limit but sacrifices mic-level DI in favour of line-level outputs only. I truly love both but the TD-1 is a more practical choice overall, given the price differential.

9. Ya, but you usually take your DB750 to the gigs....oh yeah. :bag:

10. True enough... unless the weight gets to me! :) Actually I do take the Millenia/QSC rig if the room/stage setup is an unknown, for the extra parametric control. For a lot of gigs the DB750 is sufficient. Even then, I usually keep the TD-1 handy for the DI.

11. Hello Oddio! Quick question... it seems if they included the DI output and the tube/ss input buffer option in the larger unit, it would literally be perfect. Do you know why they decided to have this capability in their smaller, less expensive unit and not in the 'big daddy'?

12. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    You're not strange at all man. I was debating putting off getting my fretless and selling my only amp just to get a STT-1. But instead i'm gonna get an SVP-Pro because it immitates the Tube sound of the STT-1 well enough to keep me happy until i can actually afford the real deal. I'm looking to run the STT-1 -->QSC RMX 1450-->Bergantino NV215! :hyper: I can hardly wait.

13. Ken, you're asking "the burning question" as far as I am concerned, and of course this would certainly make the Origin much more useful from a bassplayer's perspective. I'm guessing here (I have no special insider info), but I suspect that the TD-1 was designed to be just what it is: a great preamp/DI combination, where the Origin was designed to be a comprehensive and flexible studio channel strip. The Origin's growing acceptance as a bass preamp may have come as a surprise to the folks at Millenia Media... who knows? Perhaps the next iteration will address these points by combining all the great features from both.

Cheers,
    Andrew

14. Makes sense.... I'm sure they weren't thinking about live instrument amplification when they designed that unit. But boy, if the do an iteration on the design, I think I'll be all over it.... I may be all over it anyway!

15. My suggestion.... try out the TD-1 first. If you discover that you need more more granular control of the EQ, an added compressor/limiter, a big friggin' VU meter, a different selection of tube vs SS options plus their excellent audio transformer then go with the Origin. Many won't need, want or find use for the extra frills. The TD-1 has some extra frills that you probably won't use too: speaker soak, re-amp (Les Paul & Strat emulation) and more, although the headphone output is nice. Good luck!

There is an excellent comparison on the Millenia Media site:here (.PDF) .