1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

any users of GHS or Rotosound pressurewounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mr. Earl, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Mr. Earl

Mr. Earl

Sep 13, 2008
    Any fretless players out there tried the GHS pressurewounds with the 106 E or the Rotosound stainless pressurewounds on their fretless basses? If so did they sound close to roundwound sound.

Thx::confused::bassist: trying to find a non fretboard-gouging good sounding string

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Ken Smith Compressor-wound's for me.
    They have great mwah.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I tried the GHS and I was a fan. I broke a string though (my fault) and I'm using D'Addarios an my fretless

4. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I tried the GHS Pressurewounds with the .106 E on a fretted Stingray, and they do sound pretty close to rounds. I didn't care for the stiffness (they felt really stiff to me), so they didn't last on the bass very long.

I wonder who makes the Ken Smith Compressors; they are the "flattened round" string that seem to get the best reviews around here. Maybe GHS makes them? Not too many manufacturers making pressure wounds.

5. I have Rotosound Pressurewounds on my fretted Jazz, and they are what you'd expect of Rotosound - bright! I like them, though - personally I don't think they are too far off DR HiBeams in tone, but maybe that's just me!! :)

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:I've used them both.

I prefer Ken Smith Compressors.

7. I haven't tried the Ken Smith compressors, but I have tried the GHS Pressurewounds. I use the .45-.102 set currently, and have used the .106 set as well.

They sound like a cross beween a flat and a round. They have the darkness (lots of lows and mids, little highs) of flats and the mwah sound of a round. They currently reside on my 96 Fender fretless P. Really smooth feeling, lot smoother than a normal roundwound.

8. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    Sorry, haven't tried the GHS or Roto's.
    Another happy Ken Smith Compressor user here.
    Bill

9. Ken Smith Compressors really opened my eyes. I now prefer Slickrounds, but Compressors aren't far behind.