Any Van Der Graaf Generator fans that can help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayeroreo, Aug 18, 2009.

1. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    I'm not sure how many people can actually answer my question, but for any of the Van Der Graaf Generator fans that are on TB I am wondering what bass Nic Potter used during VDGG's early days. My band's doing a cover and I can't get the same warm tone Nic gets.

2. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Upload a copy of that cover! I'm a huge VDGG head! Top marks for even attempting Generator.

Nic Potter used either a 2-pickup Gibson SG bass or a Fender Precision bass through a Hiwatt amp. Later on their organist Hugh Banton used a white Mustang bass through Hiwatt gear on Arrow from their Godbluff album.

Check out the Precision here.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Lol...I thought this thread was about an actual generator so I was going to contribute my physics knowledge, but now I'll kindly step back into the abyss.

4. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    ahhh good to see a fellow VDGG head! And to think ppl don't even know this band exists. Anyway I hope we can make the song sound hearable in a few weeks, but we've been covering the song "Lost" and just started doing "Killer" but that will take a while before anyone can hear it without committing suicide. Thanks for the info, I'll try getting my hands on something P bass or SG ish.

5. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    LOL it's ok there are many others like you in the period of darkness. You must open your eyes to the greatest band on Earth. And possibly Mars, unless the bacteria are developing some really insane band.

6. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Also guessing by the sound he played with a pick. Lost is a good track and should be fairly easy to work out though the tempo can change at little-to-no notice.

7. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    yeah we noticed that after a while... Took a while to get the hang of. Nic is pretty genious so I'll anything to get his tone, even if I have to play with a pick, which I'm absolutely horrible at doing.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Shamefully I'll admit to clicking on this thread with the same thought.

9. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Its hard to tell his live tone is different from the mixing on the album. It could be agressive fingering and no pick. Jackson and Banton always fill up so much sonic space that Nic had to be pretty inventive to get anything into the mix.

10. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    Yeah that's true, Nic's a lot different than most bassist. He adds chords and improvises a lot. I saw them this June and it was great but unfortunately Jackson and Potter weren't there. But it was still great, Hammil's voice didn't change one bit! I was pretty shocked, he has one of the best voices in rock.

11. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Yeah I've torrented a live gig they played for Rockplast in Germany on DVD, its amazing how little they changed. They didn't play Lost though!

12. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    yeah they didn't play it in my show either. They did play Killer of course, and Lemmings and House with no door and surprisingly they played a lot of stuff from their 08 album Trisector which I didn't hear before they played it in the show, but it was surprisingly great stuff. They did play Man-Erg and surprisingly they played a long version of the Sphinx in The Face which was like 10 mins. Great show overall, it was great seeing them still making good music.

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I might have to cruise to Zia and go grab an album just to see what they're all about.

14. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    Definetely should. They're 70s prog rock but very different than the other bands in a lot of ways.

15. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I saw one of PH's concerts years ago at the Roxy in LA (sans drummer), and was surprised to see that Nic was using a plain ol Fender P and a small Peavey combo amp. He played with his fingers throughout, and seemed to have a very aggressive right hand attack (two fingers all the way).

I was far enough away to probably NOT hear the actual stage mix, but out in front Nic sounded like...Nic, all the way.

Big VDG fan from the seventies here. Although he's mellowing a bit in his current work, Hammill gets my vote as one of the most electrifying musicians ever to hit the stage.

16. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Greatly underrated band. The lastest CD (Trisector) is very good.

17. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    Yeah so I was really surprised by it when I heard them play many of the songs from it when they played the Nokia theatre in NYC.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021