1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Vegans on talkbass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by santucci218, Oct 2, 2009.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    If so, i have some questions, so let me know so i can pm you.

Also, i am very well that men eat bacon by the slab and blah blah blah, so if you want to tell me you eat meat, just post in the bacon club.

2. Ask anything. I'm not strict, but I've been riding the line for two years.

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    do you take vitamins to stay healthy? if so, what ones? what helped you most when you switched? what do you eat primarily?

4. I don't take any supplements at this time, but I drink soymilk enhanced with Omega-3s, and I also eat nutritional yeast and a well-balanced variety of veggies and spices to stay healthy, and the tofu of course provides the protein, along with seitan (which I am only really beginning to discover the wonders of with my cooking.)

I really do not suggest this lifestyle lightly. If you can really do it, you are awesome. However, most people aren't prepared to make the switch, and to make damn sure they are getting all of the vitamins they need. Vegans especially need to watch their B12 intake, as it is essential and it's not found in most of the foods we (vegans) eat.

Hope that helps.

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    hmmmmm. i will dip my foot for a little while and see how it goes. Some things just seem really hard to avoid, ya know?

6. I know the feeling. Try to find a dish you love that doesn't have meat in it for starters, work with that for a while, and slowly branch out to other dishes, eventually shunning animal products. Definitely start cooking for yourself, too: that will be immense help in bridging the gap. Do your research, but if your protein isn't at healthy levels, as much as I'm loathe to say it, you may want to continue eating meat for a while. Make sure you can make the adjustment before you do.

See you on the other side. :)

7. How are the girls, Santucci?

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Take a multivitamin from time to time - it doesn't have to be on a daily basis, but at least once a week or so to make sure you aren't deficient in something.

In particular, watch out for protein, B12 and iron. Your B12 stores last for a long time, so daily supplements really aren't necessary. B12 deficiency is pretty uncommon amongst vegetarians, even vegans - but it can cause major problems if it happens. I don't know how much research has been done on it, but I believe you can get some vegan B12 from fermented foods like tempeh. Still, make sure you get a little B12 on the side as well (from supplements or fortified foods). Iron and protein you can get from a number of vegetarian/vegan sources, just make sure that you keep track of it. Some vegans I know, women in particular, end up having to take iron supplements (due to menstrual bleeding, women are more prone to anemia than men).

If you gradually become weak, tired and pale, then you may be anemic - and without seeing a doctor and having bloodwork done, it'll be hard to tell if it's due to B12, iron or protein deficiency, or other medical illness. Definitely watch out for this, because while it's possible for most people to be vegan without being anemic, you may have something else going on.

9. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    I just ate a whole can of black beans cold and right out of the can... does that count?!? :meh:

Veganism is a tough road to follow... but I respect those that can do it. All those poor fuzzy little animals & fishies deserve better than the treatment they get for our culinary delights...

...except for pigs. Those nasty swine deserve to be the bacon bits on my asparagus dish.

Oh yeah... and those frigging disgusting feces-throwing monkeys. We really need to grind more of those little sh!tz up for monkey brain burger Whoppers and such.

Now that I think about it... cows really are too stupid to matter so... WTH?!?

:help:

10. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Can somebody give me a real world definition of vegan? Cooking? Everything raw? The real difference between that and vegetarian?

Thanks,
    God Bless, Ray

11. Vegans do not consume or wear animal products. And yes, animals include fish in this case.

Edit: The difference between vegans and vegetarians is that vegetarians consume animal products (honey, cheese, milk, eggs). Not all do, but that is a general definition. There are days when I fall in line with the vegetarian definition (feta, mozzy and honey are things I still enjoy from time to time, but I only eat those because no harm to the animal was required in order to obtain them). However, I don't feel I "need" them, and could just as easily go full, hardcore vegan if I felt so inclined.

12. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Actually its easier (for me) to remember this way...

A vegan will NOT wear a coat made from the skins of vegatarians but a vegatarian WILL wear a coat made out of the skin of vegans. Thankfully... neither will eat each other.

13. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    I had no idea vegan had to do with clothing too. What do you wear for shoes?

God Bless, Ray

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Also, vegans don't eat onion or garlic. At least they're not supposed to.

While I'm not vegan myself, I work in a vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free restaurant as a cook. They serve regular food too. If you'd like to know some tasty recipes shoot me a PM or something.

15. For shoes, I wear either shoes from Simple or just New Balance running shoes. However, Simple is awesome especially for me, because I have the unfortunate condition of having a size 16 foot, and it can get difficult shopping for shoes, particularly those made with vegans in mind, at that size. Running shoes are a great fallback if I can never find anything else.

For dress shoes, I wear non-leather ones with the plastic "gloss" thing going on. Non-leather dress shoes aren't as difficult to find as one might think.

16. I have never heard that. Ever. They do not qualify as animals, and if they do, then I am the biggest hypocrite on the planet (I eat garlic like there's no tomorrow.)

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I didn't know much about veganism until I started working there. Apparently, they're considered unclean.

Considering my restaurant doesn't have a prep list like most places (almost everything is made to order, even the slices of tomato for your sandwich) I know when I have an order for vegan bruschetta, it can't have garlic or onion in it.

I love garlic and onion personally.

18. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Wal Mart Pleather Baby:D But those are made by third world child labor so I don't know which is worse. A Cow on my feet or supporting a company taking advantage of kids.

Loss of onions and garlic would end the vegan trip for me. Wonder why they're considered unclean but a potato isn't?

EDIT; Just Googled Vegans and onions then garlic. All I got was tons of recipes. That's strange GE.

God Bless, Ray

19. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    Generally vegans do eat onions and garlic, at least in the UK.

Peter

20. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That's strange, every person I know who is vegan eats onion and garlic in plentiful amounts?

Santucci - Are you already Vegetarian or planning to go straight Vegan? FWIW I wouldn't recommend going straight vegan as it makes it a lot harder, though some people can do it. Most 'successful' vegans I know went vegetarian first for a couple months then took the rest out of their diet.
    Remember veganism isn't really set rules by anyone, many I know still wear a leather belt or shoes that they bought before becoming vegan and do so because they don't need a new belt or shoes yet. Their outlook is that they already have the items so might as well use them instead of wastefully buying new things.