1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any veterinarians in the house?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Aug 21, 2012.

1. I have a 15-year old Miniature Dachshund who, for the most part, is in excellent health. She still thinks she's a puppy, and jumps around, and is generally crazy. Well, she recently had a pretty bad abscess of her fourth upper premolars which resulted in the infection breaking through her face, under her eye. She's treated now with antibiotics, 50mg amoxicillin. The infection has at least visually cleared up. Well, I had her to two vets for opinions. Both are saying she should have the teeth pulled. Problem is, this requires general anesthesia. Both have expressed minimal concern about putting her under for the surgery at her age. I've tried to Google some answers, but I get SO much unrelated stuff it's hard to decipher.

To make matters worse, her blood work had some issues. Kidney function was great, but several liver enzymes (not sure which ones) were quite high. The vet suggested this is due to the infection and shouldn't hinder the surgery or her recovery.

My question is do I risk the surgery on a dog her age? Do I just maintain her on antibiotics until the infection overpowers them and then... well... you know. :(

I'd appreciate some responses from any vets / doctors / medical professionals, and from animal nuts like myself in general. Thanks! :)

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Personally, I would risk the anesthesia. If the worst happens, she slips away quietly. IMO that's better than dying from an infection.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah, I was thinking of a good way to word that, but I think that nails it for me as well.

4. Good point, Alex.

5. my poodle had nearly all his teeth pulled for the same reasons. in the 16th year of us having him (and he was by no means a puppy when we got him) everything went well and he lived another 4 years.

6. Gotta go with Phalex.

7. I'm a Dachshund owner, and love the breed (stubborn little no-listening crabs that they are). If you need to, send a PM.

8. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    We had our dog put under for a dental a couple years go, even though he had early stages of congestive heart failure. We trust our vets and they were comfortable doing it, and his teeth were getting to where they were bothering him. He came through fine, and was much more spry once his mouth felt better.

If you trust the vet, and are going to go through with it, it is better to do it sooner than later. Once they get older, the surgeries become riskier. In my opinion, it was better to do anything possible to try and avoid, or minimize, future complications while he was still healthy enough to be put under.

9. Thanks!

The vet also said she's seen many dogs come through much more spry and happy after the fact. My dog is in dire need of a cleaning, and also needs those teeth pulled. The vet said she thinks she'll be a much happier dog afterward. She's pretty damn happy now though, so I'm not so sure.

10. Thank you sir. I just may...

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Have the procedure done.

-Mike

12. Wulp, the surgery is scheduled. I have to drop her off on September 6th at 9:00 AM. She'll be there for most of the day. Here's to hoping it goes okay! :meh:

13. got my fingers & toes crossed.

14. Here's the old lady here. This was taken just over a month ago. It was before the abscessed toof caused her face to swell pretty significantly under her eye.

20120714_112842-picsay.

15. Good luck :)

While there are always risks, dogs aren't too high on the risk scale, going by what my missus (veterinary nurse) is saying.

16. Well, I just got back from the vet. All went well. She's still slightly groggy, but she seems happy. They pulled TWENTY THREE teeth! The woman said many were loose and essentially just popped out. The two infected ones needed to be sectioned first, but there were no complications. I'm very relieved, and still amazed she's twenty three teef lighter!!!

20120906_170320-picsay.

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Aw, what a sweetie! Here's to a speedy recovery! :)

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh wow, I cried like a baby when I had just a few teeth pulled. I don't know how I'd do if they took out 23 at once.

Thanks for the update Eric. Thanks as well for taking good care of your doggie.

-Mike

19. Seriously! She's a trooper. You'd swear by the way she was acting they didn't even pull a single one... till you peek in her mouth! I'd be a whiny cryarss. I guess it's official: she's more man than me. Haha

20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, old dogs are pretty tough. We have an old Staffordshire Terrier whose got arthritis pretty bad, but damn if he isn't the most happy go lucky dog anyway. He just goes on about his business, doesn't seem to affect him a bit, mentally.

He even got into a scrape with our other dog and got bit which turned into an abcess. His neck was pretty big and he needed surgery and I was wondering how he would hold up. Didn't phase him a bit. Healed up really fast as if nothing even happened and back to his old self.