Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Views on this Bow?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by gruffpuppy, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Any input on this bow, thinking it would be a nice upgrade from my inexpensive fiberglass bow.
    The frog on my present bow seems like it is about to fall off.

On Ebay:
    European bass bow made by the Alfred Knoll company. It is Brazilwood, has a nice hank of black hair, 1/2 lined abalone or mother of pearl ebony frog.
    [​IMG]

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Either
    you set up an agrement with the seller that you get a refund if you don't like that bow,
    or
    the stuff is so cheap that you've got nothing to loose.

As a rule, don't spend on a bow before a reasonable trial period (1 week).

3. Thanks olivier, I picked it up on EBay for $118
    with a 7 day trial period.

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I guess you're going to practice twice as much this week :D

When you're too sore (from practicing) you can also go to a luthier or a bow maker for an (informal) appraise.

Take care

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Anybody care to offer some thoughts about how to inspect the bow when it arrives?

6. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    I like to have either a fellow bassist or an instructor play two, maybe three bows including the one that I am considering. Play the same piece with each bow, while the potential buyer stands with his back to the bass. You want the instructor to play the same bass that you will be using. This will help you evaluate the way the bow sounds on your bass.

Obviously, the next step for the buyer is feel. Once again if you can now play the bass with the different bows, preferably with your eyes closed. Try to eliminate as much bias as possible.

If it doesn't sound well or feel well, it ain't gonna do you any good to own it.

Try to eliminate as much visual bias as possible.

7. Well, I got my new bow in the mail today, I think I am going to keep it because it is pretty. I am thinking of naming it Marcia. :rolleyes: ;)

I will be bringing it to my lesson tomorrow and have my teacher inspect it. Things I have noticed already; The hair is dark brown not like the black hair I have seen. It sounds a lot fuller than my fiberglass bow. Not as much squeaking either. I haven't even put any rosin on it and it pulls better than my fiberglass bow. Looks like Oliver was right, I am going to be playing a lot more this week.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Gruff, is your fiberglass bow haired with white hair? I've found that the darker hair is courser, and pulls (and stops - an important point for a neophyte like me) easier.

9. Yea the fiberglass is a Glasser with the white hair.
    Now that I look at my new one the hair is kind of like the salt and pepper hair I have seen, more pepper than salt.
    It does have much better grab than the fiberglass bow. The stings move nice.

10. Little update, I just got back form my lesson.
    My teacher likes the hair much better than on the fiberglass. He said it was a little light in weight for his taste but seeing that it cost $20 more than the fiberglass bow he suggested I keep it.
    After he played his bass with it he liked it a lot more.
    Good Deal.
    I think its a keeper.