1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any vintage (80s) ESP experts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ajn, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I just picked up this P-bass, and the only marking on it is a tiny ESP logo on the neck plate--no serial number I can find, no markings on the headstock. All I know is that the previous owner had it for over 20 years. It has reverse tuners and an anodized pickguard, so I suspect it is one of the '57 vintage models that were built for the original 400 series from ESP during the mid 80s, when they were still using the exact Fender headstock shape. Has anyone seen an ESP like this, without any markings at all on the headstock, and with a skunk stripe? I'm wondering if this might not be the original neck.

However, I have to say that this thing plays great, and feels and sounds about as nice as my '08 Am. Std. P-bass. So whatever it is, it is a really sweet bass.

Thanks for any help on this.....

IMG_0056.

IMG_0063.

IMG_0060.

2. It doesn't really look like a fender body. Possibly a fender neck on an ESP Body?

3. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I know the body is an original ESP. What I am trying to figure out is whether they ever came with a neck that had no logo on it anywhere.

4. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    ESP made aftermarket replacement Fender parts for awhile.

Kind of like Warmoth, mightymite, etc.

5. Nice bass! I was actually checking that out myself. Glad someone took the leap!