Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any vintage Ibanez Fans?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I have recently accouired sn ibanez Roadster RS900TV bass, and its wonderful, i just had to tell people about it, it plays wonderful, this is the same model as phil lynnot used for a while and that apparently sting have used. this bass is from 79, and to me it seems they where only produced in 79? its kinda hard to find info about this bass.

anyway, hers some pics, i think the finish looks great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've got an RB800, which while it says Roadstar on it (Like the cover for the truss rod)...the bass is only from '87, so I doubt it counts as vintage.

Not shabby, I love Ibbys...especially the neck.

3. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    after what i have heard the RoadSTER was the series before the roadstar?

4. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    After reading many raves about the 70's-80's Ibanez's, I bought an 84 RB850. While it was a nice bass which played very nicely, it wasn't even in the same league as any of my other basses. I quickly realized that I was never going to play it over any of my Music Man basses or my MIA Jazz. Great $200 bass, but I've given up on lowend instruments simply because they would never get played. YMMV.

5. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    that was a little hard wasnt it?

To Be honest this far, i prefer this bass to my Status Graphite Eclipse.... i havent been able to hear what it sounds like yet, since i dont have my amp here.

just due to the weight, the fact that its active and have a pre amp, that Massive solide Bridge and a Brass nut, and the overall feel of the bass, i doubt this was a budget bass, it feels better than any fender or Musicman i have played.

6. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Sorry about that. Your thread title asked a question. I just figured you were looking for opinions. I'm sorry you didn't like my answer. I've owned five "vintage" Ibanez basses, and each and every one of them was a well made instrument. I'll leave it at that. Cool? As to the $200, they weren't budget basses when they were new, but most go for $200-300 on eBay. I paid $200 for my RB850, and it was in near mint shape.

7. jessebooth

jessebooth

Mar 6, 2006
    Ive got one of those! Mine has a body the same colour as the neck in the pic, so its all 1 colour. Ill post a pic soon. I allways wonderd what the model number was and what year it was made... It was my 1st bass aquired in 96' or so... Since then ive replaced it with a mexican fender jazz, which was much quieter for recording and way easier to play(much smaller). It was only the other day i decided to give the ibanez a try again after at least two years of not playing it. Wow! Even though the fender had new strings, instantly the ibanez had more clarity and depth/tone. Maybe its the active pick ups or just the size of it but it really sounded great despite being more difficult to play. Think ill give it a try at my next gig see how it does.

8. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    sweet roadster!

i've always wanted any of their lawsiut basses......

9. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    its no problem...:) I just got the impresion that you thought they where crap, yes i agree, they are very well made Instruments, but we all have different tastes, and thats why we have all these different basses around in the world ;) this bass just ended up Fitting my hand perfectly, if i ever get a custom bass, im gonna get it made with a neck made after the specs on this.

I gotta be honest, i found this bass alot easier to play than the Geddy I sold to get this, i duno why, i think the geddy realy had way to thin neck for me, though i realy liked the bass, the geddy also didnt have much bottom IMO(but some how geddy manages to push some bottom out of it) I dont really know much about the Tone of the Roadster, other than what i Have heard from Phil Lynnot on "thin Lizzy - Live At Rockpalast" and what Jessebooth here said, but from that it sounds like it will be great.

BTW, Jessebooth: i Think the exact name of yours is Roadster RS900NT ;) the two last letters is name for the finish i belive, though mine is a Clear wine see through(i think i will call it that myself..) i havent Managed to find out what the "TV" means....

I think i would realy like an Ibanez Roadstar II Bass, i think they look great, and apparently they have di marzio pickups as i have heard?

10. jessebooth

jessebooth

Mar 6, 2006
    hope this works....
    put new strings on em both yesterday. The ibanez is still quite hard to play compared to the jazz... but i do prefer the sound. you really have to PLAY the thing! Plus its so heavy it broke a strap in band practice and nearly hit the ground.
    The trace amp in the background is the bane of my life. the things never worked properly. I have an all valve ampeg v4bh and an ashdown minirig ordered, but just found out they wont be shipped for over a month! Ahhhh the joys of thoman.
    jesse

Attached Files:

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I dig the old Ibanez gear, late 70's- early 80's. They may not always have been better-constructed than other instruments of the time, but they were IMO the kings of the hard-working rock'n'roll vibe. A '79 Ibanez instrument into one of their UE-series effects boxes is, to me, the epitome of cool.

12. A dude who lived in my dorm in college had an early-'80s Roadster. Even with dead-ass strings, it had an incredible sound. It just felt like rock and roll.

13. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
  14. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I bought my '81 PJ Roadster in London from this cool music shop that I could never find again. Very mysterious...

I dig: 24 frets, big round neck, variety of tones. When playing around, I've even cut to the bridge pickup soloed to get Stevie Wonder Clavinet D6 sounds. Definitely has a rock and roll 'feel,' but then you can take the tones way beyond plain rock and roll. Perfect for me, a rock and roller who fell in love with all the other genres as I went along.

And maybe Sting used to own it...?

No pic, but go see Dharmabass' profile for a pic of his.

edit: hold up... I'm forgetting whether it's an -ar or -er... have to re-check the truss rod cover when I get home. Whatever. The above still applies, whatever it's called.

15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I have a '76 Ibanez 4001 copy. I like it.

16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've got a '79 MC900. Those were built very unique for the time...it feels, sounds and plays just like an Alembic. The active electronics are cool and actually have more volume gain than anything else ever built, killer-bright growly sounds, and it's a killer slap bass. Those old MC's aren't getting cheap to buy anymore.

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have an 85 Roadstar RB630. Construction wise it blows the doors off of any sub 500 dollar bass out there today bar none.

18. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Love 'em. I just bought an all stock Fretless Vintage Musician EQ Bass-- the very same model played by sting. Three band EQ that will break windows and an unlined ebony board with side dot markers for every half-step. It's a gem. The musicans in general are among the best basses ever mass produced, IMO.

19. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Heart. Shaped. Tuners.

Big ones.

And Rogerbmiller- I have sure wanted one of those musicians to match my fretted 81 roadster. (2 eq active) You're a lucky man. Where did you pick yours up? I moved away from the city a few years ago and miss perusing the stores...

20. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    Here's my 1985 RB850 . Basswood body is easy on the back and active p/u's sound great !