Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Voivod Fans?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Jul 18, 2004.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hey guys,

I've heard a lot lately about the band Voivod. I know Jason Newsted is their bassist, and being a big fan of Jason's, this tempts me to listen to some of their music. So, what's a good CD to start out with, what are some of their better songs and, most importantly, how do you pronounce their name? Basically, I'm lookin' for 'The Beginners Guide To: Voivod!' Thanks guys. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i am hit and miss with voivod. i adore these LPs by them though:

angel rat
    outer limits
    negatron
    phobos

the new one with newstead is pretty good and the ones prior to angel rat are ok, with killing technology being my fave of the classic era.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks Acacia. :) I think I might buy the new album with Jason. But before I do that, I must know one thing... How do you pronouce Voivod? Thanks. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

4. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Voy-vod.

I saw them do an interview on MuchMusic a while back...haven't heard a lot of their stuff...only a few newer songs...They seem cool enough.

5. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I really liked their middle "prog-metal" phase. Never really got into the first three albums, or the later ones, though I do own them.
    My favorites:

Dimension Hatross
    Nothingface
    Outerlimits

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've got Outer Limits, very cool. Heavy but floaty, very strange. I dig the "Voivod track" on Probot as well.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jason is doing some great bass work with them, keep rockin Jason. :bassist:

8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Killing Technology is a classic. Very, Very under-rated.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dimension Hatröss and The Outer Limits are my favorites.

One of the most original bands in metal. Highly influential too, even Opeth has some Voivod influences, just listen to the opening riff of Deliverance.