1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any walkers (walk for exercise) out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Low8, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Anyone into walking for low-impact exercise on the site? If so, indoors/outdoors? Paved/off-road? Frequency and distance?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yup. I have been a nearly lifelong cyclist, never fast, but always enjoyed riding. I had been riding my bike to work every day for more than a decade, and switched to working from home last March. I started taking a 1/2 hour walk every morning before work, and additional long walks during evenings and weekends. Just the neighborhoods around my house.

I'm also an avid hiker.

andrea.it and Low8 like this.
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    2 miles each way to & from my job! :cool:

fdeck and Low8 like this.
  4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Between 4 and 6 miles a day in and around my 'burb. Gotten to know all the cool cats! Both feline and other!

CatchaCuda, fdeck and Low8 like this.
  5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Yup! I love being outdoors, I try to do 3 miles a day. Wooded trails are preferred, but a neighborhood walk is nice too.

fdeck and Low8 like this.
  6. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Excellent, folks. I figured there'd be a few of us on the site. :D

I walk four to six times a week here in my neighborhood which is quiet and residential with lots of big trees to keep things a little cooler in the summer. My "loop" is about 3.6 miles and includes trekking up and down four flights of stairs here in my condo building. Each outing takes me an hour.

I wish I was within a quick stroll of true outdoor, off-road hiking in natural areas -- that would be great.

S-Bigbottom and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yes, I love walking. Usually between an hour and an hour-and-a-half. Right now only once or twice a week but when the days are longer it tends to be between three and four days a week. My preference is trail walking but I also really enjoy urban exploration and walking around nice neighbourhoods.

Low8 likes this.
  8. I walk for about 45 minutes in random areas around town on my lunch. When the weather is good my wife and I have a 2 mile course we do nightly. Winter forces us to the treadmill but try to keep moving.

I remember some other thread on here where some "expert" said walking was not exercise. The variety of valid and silly opinions on here is hilarious.

Regular walker here.

Low8 likes this.
  9. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    maybe not everyday but I try to get out a few days a week and do at least a mile or two just around my residential neighborhood. In the summertime or whenever the weather is good I ride the bike more often

Low8 likes this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I know at least one dude who is an avid Walker:

OO_fVO8_E-b5_gcFtgiScLkMRE8HJP1wYIub43UoaOkxqba6gF5resaYdDKyCicIqmm-FDgXVHuyr762aCS8J4cw0mafLT-E.gif

11. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Two miles a day, every day first thing in the morning. Been doing it for about 20 years now. Favorite weather is when it's cool and sunny. Don't forget the sunscreen and wear a head covering (especially for old guys like me who don't have a lot of hair). My dermatologist said I've had my lifetime quota of sun already. Growing up in Hawaii, I think I passed the quota a long time ago :laugh:

WI Short Scaler and Low8 like this.
  12. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    1/2 to 1 hour everyday. Started using walking sticks... called Nordic Walking. 20% more calories burned than simple walking. Makes my back and hips feel better too.

Low8 and woodyng2 like this.
  13. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Nearly every day, weather permitting. Minimum daily target is 3 miles. Most days I get in 4+ Miles. I have 2 routes that include climbing (and descending) about 300 feet. The third route is basically flat.

My Apple Watch is an awesome fitness tracking device and a great motivator. Gotta close all 3 fitness rings every day or it nags me.

7225DBE2-B5A6-475F-BE04-3939B43C9C5C.png

Jefenator and Lex P. like this.
  14. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    My winter/bad weather routine is 3 miles/1 hour on the treadmill 4-5 times a week.
    But when the weather is better, I do about the same distance beach walking along the beautiful South Oregon coast. (Which can be really rocky, 3933CA5F-D361-4E5F-B2C7-49191F825A61.jpeg so there’s a bit of scuttling involved.)

15. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Kentucky
    I run or ride my bike. We've got some nice trails here in the Bluegrass that cut through some scenic horse farms. I alternate those cardio days with my weight lifting days to keep the engines running in tip top condition.

Lex P. and Low8 like this.
  16. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Walking is my preferred exercise, no doubt.
    There's a nice park near me and that's my regular walk...not sure of the exact distance, but I generally take over hour.
    There's also a very fine coastal walk in Howth I try to do at least twice a week...that's about a 10k circuit.
    I've also a 20-minute walk to/from my work car-park.

I used to do a lot more, hiking the Wicklow and Mourne mountains, but my knees and back aren't up to that these days.

17. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    I owe my health to dogs. When they were around I was out walking 5 days a week 2 hours a day minimum. Since my walking compadres worked during the day, I'd go for some decent stretches quite often, trips I wouldn't have necessarily made on my own. The ridge below for instance.

Now it's pretty much the bike mostly.

P1010393.JPG

woodyng2 likes this.
  18. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world. Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Every day in the afternoon. My wife and I do our 3.5 mile circuit through the really nice woodsy upscale neighborhood adjacent to our own. This in addition to our midday 1 miler at lunch.

Low8 likes this.
  19. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Howth is a cool, little town... been there.

Oddly likes this.
  20. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    5-6 days per week on a treadmill (30 minutes each day).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021