Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Warwick Thumb Bolt on 6 owners out there

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Panther, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Just looking for quick opinions from a current or previous owner of the following (or similiar specs):

Used Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 6 Broad Neck Ovangkol Body, Ovangkol Neck w/Wenge Fingerboard, Optional 20mm Spacing, MEC Humbuckers & 2-Band EQ w/Passive-Active Switch

And how would you compare it to this:

Used Corvette Standard 6 Bubinga Body, Ovangkol Neck w/Wenge Fingerboard, MEC Dual Humbuckers & 2-Band EQ, Black Hardware

I am a SR5 user, but am looking for a different sound while looking for those extra high notes.

It'll be my first bass outside a 5, and I was also looking at a Conklin Bill Dickens 7 string, but I'm not so sure I'll get the use out of it as I would maybe a Warwick.

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I've got the thumb that you mentioned above and I truly love it! OOOOKAAY, here goes.

Wood: Mine has an ovangkol body kinda heavy but it's great for that woody tone. The neck is a 5-piece ovangkol/wenge laminate. Very sturdy!!!

Hardware: Mine has all black hardware, the basic Warwick stop/tail bridge that adjusts left and right as well as up and down. Brass frets and warwick tuners.

Electronics: Mine has been modified to an 18v system and still has the standard MEC soapbars and preamp(Lots of headroom).

SOUND:very clean and punchy, not a lot of "colorization" to the tones, the highs REALLY bite but arent overly crispy which is what I wanted and its most likely due to the ovangkol/wenge neck. The lows will "shake things up" literally, Very powerful and bangs. Add a little mid, roll off the highs and get a real vintage type tone.

Price paid: $1400.00 No Tax!!!
    Where: Bass Central :bassist:

3. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    You mean you got the one that they are still showing under the USED gear ?????

4. ale_vanlager

ale_vanlager

Jun 30, 2004
    Buffalo NY
    Hey,

You should PM Puarija. He has (had?) one of those. He's also played a fair amount of Warwicks.

5. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Will do...thanks!

6. There ya go!!

Jump to the 7

Warwick is a tank

7. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah there were two of them, Perry at Bass Central sold me one and theres still one left. You might want to give 'em a call. :)

8. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I'm a big fan of the bolt-on Thumbs, 5's and 6's. Perhaps my favorite Warwicks out of the whole line. The one's I've run into haven't been too bad weight-wise; substantial, but not back-breakers. They always play well, and the tones are even and full. Imo.

/rick