Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any way to plug into a home stereo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dreamwave, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgive me. I know this sounds ridiculous but I just want to be able to hear myself practice quietly. Yes, I spent all my money on a Zon Legacy Elite mostly for the recording studio where clients usually bring their own rig.
    Thanks, Andre

2. Sorry about the double post. All I did was hit the damn back button too many times. AAARGH!:mad: :mad:

3. Dreamwave, you're not crazy. Or at least, if you are, I am too. I love hearing my bass through my stereo, the detail is incredible. That said, once my friend was over and I was playing through the stereo and he cranked the hell out of the volume and a single slap and pop killed one of my tweeters... arg.

Anyway, if you have a tape deck (I ditched mine years ago...), you can plug your bass into the mic input and adjust the level accordingly. It will probably only come out of one speaker, but... oh well

Don't crank it too loud unless you have nice big speakers :)

Alternatively, invest in something like a SansAmp or Bass Pod, both of which have line-level outs you could hook up to your stereo.

--jeff

4. I don't remember any brand names or anything but I've seen little wireless boxes for about $20 (US) that allow you to play your guitar through an FM radio. I think Dean might carry one.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I plug into my stereo for years and it sounds amazing, like going direct in the studio.

I use the (stereo) line out of my preamp and connect it into one of the line ins of my stereo - sounds amazing, even for slapping.

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Sounds like a trip to Radio Shack is all you need, to get "connected".

7. Plugging into your stereo will show you a great deal how your bass acutally sounds. A high quality stereo has much less tone coloration that a bass amp and speakers.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    actually they make something tht lets you go directly into a stereo while playing tapes cd's or with the radio. it costs like $80 at musiciansfriend. i'm sorry but i don't remember what its called.:confused:

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    cheapo device:

1/4 to 1/8 adapter
    [​IMG]

10. play your stereo at a reasonable level and placement in regards to your amp,........or play your stereo thru your amp on a seperate channel. i personally been using a bose wave radio linked to my pc , playing selected downloaded files and i then fire up my mesa 400+, cause i like to use the same amp to practice that i would play out with. as long as i dont go crazy volume wise it works out fine even into moderatly high volume levels,.......yes the neighbors can hear me. and i can hear me. i find the placement of the two sound sources should be close together,......the bose at ear level on top of an amp,. no cd skip cause im playing selected downloaded files from my pc. i find theis the most compact and accurate way of practicing bass. but thats me.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Double post, and this one is in the wrong forum.

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.