Any way to repair scratched CDs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alexssandro, Apr 17, 2002.

1. This can be music-related so I'll post here (even though I'm talking about a CD for my CD-ROM).

A CD for my computer is very scratched up and my CD-ROM can't seem to read it. Does any one know of any products or home-remedies that could cure this problem?
  2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    You can buy Game Doctor or Skip Doctor for $30 at mostly any best buy,video game shop,or maybe even cd shops.They're not that big.but they have this thing on them that you put the cd on and it does ''something'' to it to erase the works friend has it.theres a video game store near me that says they have one and they charge $3 a cd(they do cd's and video games),so i guess you go look around for stores that do it.if u have over 10 cd's u want fixed i suggest just buying one.
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Try cleaing the disc first. Use a cotton ball and some alcohol to wipe the CD from the inside edge to the outside edge (actually, I clean mine by running the cotton ball around it, as if it were a record player needle trying to play it). Then, use a dry cotton ball to wipe up the excess alcohol (now is when I run the cotton ball from the inside edge to the outside edge). Make sure it is good and dry before trying to read it. If this doesn't work, do as frankencow150 said and buy a fixer-upper (Musician's Friend sells a CD repair kit).

I've also heard that you can fill the scratches by spraying the disc with a light coat of furniture polish and wiping off the access, or that you can "massage" some of the minor scratches out with some slightly abrasive toothpaste (a gel toothpaste won't work) and a light touch, using a soft cloth or rag. I never had any luck with that remedy though.

God luck!

EDIT: Oops! Of course I meant good luck!
  4. This might sound stupid, but it works, in some not so bad cases. Leave it in the freezer for a day or two... fixes em right up!
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    C'mon! For real?

Do you store 'em next to your nine-volt batteries?

6. for real my man, for real~!
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

8. PeninaD

May 26, 2001
    First clean it. Instead of the alcohol, I would try really diluted dish-washing saop solution, and carefully dry it with a soft, lint-free cloth. Also, check where the scratches are. If they are all on the shiny side, you stand a great chance of recovering especially with the SkipDoctor (I saved so many with this thing!)
    But if the scratch is ont he label/printed side, you have lost the battle before you began. You can look for this by holding the cd up towards a light, and looking for any area that the light shines clearly though.
    I've heard of the furniture polish trick, and it would work by filling scratches with wax, but my concern is long-term, about the chemicals and oils (petro-chemicals) What do they do to the plastic of the CD??? Will this actually shorten the life of the disk???