Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Way To Up Just The Bass On An mp3?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    On one of the tracks I recorded a couple years ago with some friends, the eq got misadjusted or something on our mixer and my bass part ended up being very quiet on the track. I've always wanted to hear what it would sound like at normal volume, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to adjust it on my pc. Thanks!

2. You could try boosting around 100-140 Hz to try and bring it up, that's about the only area the bass won't be competing with other instruments too much in the same frequency range.

I can't guarantee anything though, as it's hard to add something with EQ when it's not there in the first place. More likely than not you'll just end up adding noise.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Play it in Winamp and use some different EQ's, start with Rock.

4. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Are you trying to re-E.Q. the track or just the playback? What format was the original recording made in?

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The track. It was originally recorded on Cubase, and I got a copy of the finished CD and uploaded it into mp3s on my pc.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Are the original tracks still available? If so, is the bass on an individual track? If so, just boost the volume and give a bit of eq adjustment and re-burn to cd. If not, do what I did. My band recorded some tunes live at a venue we were playing at. Somehow, the first 2 sets had zero bass! Not sure what happened. Well, we burned it to cd anyway. I took the songs, imported them into Cakewalk Sonar, recorded new bass tracks, mixed 'em down and burned 'em to cd. I did that to the first 2 tracks up on my band's website here . You can't really tell the bass tracks are separate.