Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Weapon of Choice fans?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jerry, Jan 28, 2003.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Freekbass thread below got me thinking of some other under the radar funky/rock bands...so I thought of Weapon of Choice! I think the vocalist/bassist name is Lonnie Marshal, i'll have to check when I get home.......he writes and sings & plays some very funky stuff on bass....great band;)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    As usual, you got me on that one, Jerry.

How 'bout Ripple? I think they're from the late '70s/early '80s(?). I had never heard of them until last night.
    Anyway, I was checking Dusty Grooves for some Average White Band(just in case Shine shows up on disc) & Ripple comes up...they're compared to AWB in the blurb for their albums.
    So I picked up their self-titled album for $5.99.

The Layfette Afro Rock Band is another I stumbled onto while surfing thru Dusty Grooves.
    Gonzalez, too.

And don't forget about Betty Davis...a funky Janis Joplin, to say the least.

BTW-
    Two books that have loads of "Under the Radar" Funky/Rock bands-
    Funk-Dave Thompson
    Jazz-Rock: A History-Stuart Nicholson

3. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Jim, you turned me on to the Layfette Afro Rock Band.......I picked it up, and it was just the old school stuff I dig:D Weapon Of Choice is a more recent band.

4. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Lonnie Marshall and WOC are Funky.
    I have "Highperspice" My self,funky C.D.
    LM is Funky.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I've never heard WOP but lonnie can play same with his Bro Arik (chilli's lollapaloza era guitarist). There used to be a LA party fun time band called "trulius descrasies" its fishbone and the chillis getting together for a good time funk band doin james and pfunk and stuff. I have no Idea if that jam still happens but It used to be a cool hang. Lonnie played bass in that.

AJ

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yup, good stuff. i have a couple of their cd's. when i was in high school they came and did a local show at a club and came with NO gear. the only thing that came along were their guitars. it turns out they had just got rid of almost the entire band and brought in a new lineup about a week earlier. lonnie ended up using my crate 210, the drummer used my friends kit and the guitarist used an amp that was there at the club. great show nonetheless.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Isnt he (marshall) the brother of the guitarist that played with RRHCP after Fruscante(sp??) left. Or am I thinking of Marshal Law?

Either way I have "Nutmeg Sez Bozo the Town". I just wish it had better production on it.

8. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Great band! It's nice to hear that others here are into them as well.

Anyone listen to Follow For Now?

9. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

Yup.....another great band under the radar because radio and MTV[evil!] couldn't figure out what catogory to put them in........my record collection is littered with bands like that.

10. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Wow I thouht I was the only one hip to Follow For Now.
    Yo Jed,I must say you're pretty hip for a white cat.;) :D