1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any websites to practice ear training?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Sigge, Apr 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sigge

Sigge

Jun 8, 2014
    Norway
    I want to start training my ear in the morning every day before school but all the results google has given me makes me choose very limited options, like "Minor and major sevens" on intervals or "Minor and diminished triads" on chords.

Does anybody know if theres a website where you can practice:
    - All intervals, ascending and descending in the same "game"
    - Scales, all modes and preferably some more like harmonic minor, bebop dominant etc
    - Chord progressions, where its random wether the root is the bass note or not

I prefer websites but if you only know of any apps, please share (I use an android but it is so slow, so I'd rather use a website)

2. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    The app, Tenuto, and the corresponding web site, musictheory.net, should let you do most, if not all, of what you're asking. I know I've had it play scales for students to identify.

Interval Ear Training

is intervals. Click on the things on the top-right and you can change the intervals or the way it works, e.g., if you want the intervals played melodically or at the same time, and the like.

-S-

Mushroo likes this.
  3. Sigge

Sigge

Jun 8, 2014
    Norway
    Oh, great, thanks! :)

4. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Please post back after you try the site and let us know if it's what you're looking for.

-S-

5. Sigge

Sigge

Jun 8, 2014
    Norway
    I scrolled down to the "Exercise Customer" in the Exercises section and its allowed me to customize the intervals options perfectly, the scales are more varied than the other websites I've found too, the only problem is the 'Chords' part where the only option is to have the root as bass note

But the other two works really great, I'll definitely use this website :)

6. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Exercise customizer's purpose is to save a link to a specific configuration. You can change it so chords aren't all in root position using the top-right thing I mentioned. Just turn on Inversions. It doesn't do everything - it doesn't ask you to identify the inversion, but I guess they're assuming that, if you can correctly identify the chord, you must have figured out which chord factor is in the bass and therefore what inversion it's in.

-S-

7. Sigge

Sigge

Jun 8, 2014
    Norway
    Ah, thanks, then I'm all satisfied then :)

Groove Doctor likes this.
  8. cpaterso

cpaterso Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2007
    I have been using Earbeater - which also comes as an app, i think.

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
  10. stringtapper

stringtapper

Jun 24, 2009
    Denton, TX
    This is the one I send my students to:

teoria : Music Theory Web

You can tailor exercises and it will even generate melodies and rhythms for dictation.

Sigge likes this.