Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any wedding bands out there in NJ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Between myself and my wifey-to-be, we've decided having a band at our wedding next June might be a good idea - so where do I turn first? To my friends here on TB... :D

We're looking for a band that'll do some rocky/metally stuff, a bit of country, some pop/disco-type tunes, some regular dance tunes, a few oldies, and who might not mind me and my band guys taking the instruments for a tune or two! And I have it on authority from the wife-to-be that if they play the Chicken Dance, they're fired! :D

If anyone's up for it, please PM me with your details!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had these guys at our wedding. They weren't cheap, but they were worth it. They're the best covers band I've heard, amazing singer.

http://www.thetouchpage.com/

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    look for a band called "Don't Call Me Francis"

excellent band.
    http://www.francisband.com/

oh yeah. if you need a great DJ, lemme know. my best friend's boss is the best i've heard.

4. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Just a word of advice from a group that has played about 150 weddings in the last 27 years...don't be too narrow minded about what the band plays. I don't know your situation and whether you're intending a small or large wedding with adults-only or if young kids are invited to the dance.

But I can tell you if gramma and grandpa want "Take the A Train" or "Kansas City" or something like that, and the band can do it but you don't want them to play it, gramma and grandpa won't be too happy. Similarly, if, at the beginning of the night when all the little kids are there at the dance and they want the Chicken Dance, I say let them play it. We would. For us it's all about the collection of guests of all ages having a good time. What the Bride and Groom want is extremely important and we'll go so far as to learn a special song if they want us to, but I wouldn't let that prevent all the other guests from having a good time as well. Afterall, at the dance, it's all about your family and friends celebrating your special day with you and them having a blast, isn't it?

Sometimes it can be a little delicate if you have strict marching orders to play a certain song at a certain time, a certain way, or be told not to play any Elvis, or some such thing by the wedding party. I always feel bad when that happens, expecially for the guests who inevitably request the very songs you've been told not to do..

I was very picky about our band, too. But my philosophy was to find a good band, one experienced playing weddings, and just let them do their thing. Like you, they let us play a couple songs. Other than that, we stayed out of their hair which worked out well, and we didn;'t have to worry about anything. It was only a 3 piece, but they sounded like a 5 piece group.

Sounds like you want a group who can do a nice variety. You're smart. Do your homework. Get references and call them (Band should give them out freely) Book well in advance. Just don't be too anal about it. Whether it was a success and a good time will largely be judged by your guests.