1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any well known members in Italy? I’m trying to buy an Amb1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Markamb1, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    Call me totally insane but I only joined this forum because I was going to put a Wanted Ad for An Ampeg Amb1. which is why my screen name is thoughtless...more geared towards grabbing the attention of someone who owns one. I placed the ad and got nothing... Then I started to enjoy the Forum.

I’ve spent a stupid amount of time trying to find one. There is a guy in Abruzzo, Italy selling a red one but he refuses to sell to someone outside of Abruzzo. I need someone in Italy who can either broker the deal or suggest a music store or shipping company who could.

I already tried Loop Music they said no. I really want this bass.... I comb through Images looking for new ones to lead me to websites that are not being generated by a simple web search. Which is how I keep finding them in places like Italy and Russia. I’m sure if I was patient....which I am not...eventually one would show up for cheaper and easier.

That’s plan B.... Can anyone help with a Plan A. I doubt shipping would be much.... taxes would be the bigger thing potentially.

VENDO AMPEG AMB1 JAPAN 1999 - #4259732 - su Mercatino Musicale in Bassi Elettrici 4 corde

2. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    Amb1 Amb1 Amb1. Somebody. I know the time is quite a bit different. I would wake up to messages from the Italian.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I'm curious why you are so fixated on finding one of these basses? What is it about them that makes you need one this much?

4. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    In short. I’ve played one. The sound of the Seymour Duncan bassline pick up. The advantage of only one pickup, less magnetic drag on the strings. The physical advantage of the shortscale neck and small body. The sonic advantage of a low mass instrument being shook to hell by overpowering bass strings...creating great resonance. Any smaller and ther would be no wood or resonate. I like the lower sound and feel of shortscale. I love the finishes. It’s terribly unique. Almost every other bass has been played to death. Most people have never even seen this one. I love the looks of some basses I love the sound of others. This has both for me.

5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    good luck on your quest, sounds like a worthy dream. I tried this desperation route a couple of times thru this forum and met mostly indifference the first go round then half-cocked derision and screams of SCAM! etc. the second despite the simplicity and verified proof. but don't give up, I overcame the BS and got the first one without help and will again on the other. so, there is hope for a NBD just as there are kind souls among us, don't get discouraged, it can happen!

6. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    There is no risk of scam when you send someone money. As long as you’re not asking them to send you anything but the bass. The only risk is being scammed. It’s easily worth what he asking. Which bass was it that you got and which one do you want?

Bass V likes this.
  7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    for sure, there was no call for such insults and interference and I'd help if I could, but be aware that it might not be clear sailing even tho we're here in front of the world merely requesting assistance. I was incessant in getting my Peavey, a particularly elusive Zodiac BXP which ended up being my #1. it's still irritating to consider not having this awesome bass and I have the same intuition regarding the rare all black Kawai Rockoon currently in my sights, it's all in perseverance my good man ...and some luck.
    upload_2018-11-9_15-4-36.
    this Peavey's naked look grew on me til I had to have it. once in my hands it has hardly been out.
    upload_2018-11-9_15-13-17.

8. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    So the peavey you wanted and got.... Kawai rocoon you want?

9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yup, spent a bit of my Rockoon money on a great YAMAHA RBX250 so the Kawai purchase is delayed and gives me time to hatch a better plan. I suggest you post all the credentials on your bass that you can so it's all transparent and nobody harbors any skepticism like I encountered. good luck snagging yours.

10. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    If anyone is all that skeptical. I’ll forget about it. Not going to try to force it. I can’t see how a referral would be above and beyond the abilities or sensibilities of anyone. Just a good local music store or shipping company.

I’ve seen some in the US...the rocoon

11. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    as I said, I'd be helping you already if it were possible, hang in there cos it just takes 1 willing person to make this work for you and if that can't be found here then where? lol

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

It isn't a rare instrument by any mean. Patience and search engine alerts do wonders.

13. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    The search engine alerts is a good idea. Do you know the production numbers?

14. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
  15. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I don't know if this is relevant but I will point it out anyway as it is an issue that I keep coming across with basses from the US this way (Spain).

If there are any protected species involved (i.e:Rosewood etc.) then the necessary paperwork must be in order to avoid you being out of money and the bass.

As I said, not sure if it is relevant to the bass in question.

16. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
  17. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Hoping the OP sees this and that it's in good shape!
    I had a Darn Armstrong on loan for a few years and considered one of these when they came out.
    I just couldn't / can't deal with anything other than a 34" scale.

18. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Airline tickets are not very expensive to fly to Italy in this time of the year and bring it back. Why to bother someone else to do your work?

19. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

May 27, 2009
    The SSB that Bruce Johnson mentioned is indestructible! It stays in tune in any climate and can handle all the abuse one can expect on the road. The sound is thunderous! Not many around. I feel very lucky to own one.
    Highly recommended.

nouroog, Joshua and Bruce Johnson like this.
  20. I've seen a handful of them also pop up on reverb here and there. Make yourself an account there, throw the name in the search engine, then you can add the search to your feed (even if there aren't any currently listed). This way if the GC deal, or nothing else pans out you've got full watch if any others happen to pop up for sale around the country.