1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any word of Fender Road Worn Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joe_cool27, Sep 21, 2008.

1. joe_cool27

joe_cool27

Aug 21, 2008
    I dont how many of you know this, but theres been talk of MIM Relic Strats on guitar forums for a while now. ZZSounds even had it listed for a couple days here. The list price is rumored to be $999, so the street price should be in $600-700 range.

Has anyone heard of bass versions of this series?

2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I never would have thought in a thousand years people would pay for beat up basses:D. Of course with the Relic being so fashionable I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they'd sell like hotcakes.

Dan

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Well I know they did something like this with the NOS ( New Old Stock ) basses which they even installed old rusty screws in the bass but how well they sold I have no idea

4. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    If they didnt sell well, people like RS Guitars, Nash, Bravewood, and even myself wouldnt have jobs.. :)

I just dont see how their going to do it with Poly based finishes.. Hell even the high end CS pieces have Poly underneath the Nitro.. Fender and there marketing.. GENIUS..

Fender could make a guitar out of popcorn, old toe nails, and bubblegum and it would probably sell.. LOL..

5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I think they'd definitely sell...there's just too many teenagers who love the look not to buy them.
    I agree about the logistics though...relicing is a time consuming process, I don't see how they could get it done, unless they have a new relic machine or something??

6. joe_cool27

joe_cool27

Aug 21, 2008
    Joe Strummer Telecaster

Thats a MIM Artist series, with a relic'd standard poly MIM finish.

This is a supposed pic of the Road Worn 50's strat, with nitro Finish, and 6105 frets.

This is true, lol.

EDIT: Second link fixed.

7. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    Both linkĀ“s are the same.

8. I don't know if it is just me but the wear on that Tele doesn't look too convincing. Take a look at the pickguard or the neck, they are pretty clean. Anyone else agree?

EDIT: A true punk guitar should have a ton of dings too ;)

9. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Ooooh ... Crescent Inlays ??? :bag:

10. joe_cool27

joe_cool27

Aug 21, 2008
    Oh crap, i'll fix that.

11. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    those strummer tele's have a relic sticker on them, no actual wear, its like a photofinish kitchen cabinet.

12. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    The Strat looks real nice, understated. It looks old but not abused. The forearm contour is a bit off for me but the lower horn looks great.

The Tele on the other hand is one of the worst relics I've ever seen and it's totally obvious the aging was done in one day with one tool. A flaw I see in many relic jobs.

13. Bob, the tele looks like that because it represents how Joe Strummers tele looked after he used a sander to take most of the paint off. I think it looks awful, and BTW, I only saw him use a white tele with a black stripe and maybe some words on it somewhere. I can't remember exactly what it looked like but it's all over youtube in their videos.

14. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I'm gonna go make one. It'll sell. You just wait. I'll show you ALL.

The Strummer sig guitar is about the worst relic job I've ever seen, it looks like one of those spray-on tans high school princesses get, sept on a guitar. Not the least bit realistic. :meh:

15. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    Well in that case they nailed it :)

I wonder how long it will be until people start paying for the Pete Townsend treatment on their guitars?

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    A local store has one of the Strummer Teles on the wall. I tried it and thought it had way to much rust. But other than that it was decently built and played and sounded like a Tele.

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Perhaps they've set up a deal with Guitar Center, where they buy back all of the guitars that have been sitting in the shop unsold over the last year. All they have to do is relabel them, slap a higher price on them, and viola! Reliced instruments.