Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any word on the Parker bass at NAMM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jan 19, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  2. Let's all just hope that it doesn't LOOK like a Fly.:rolleyes:

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ever play one? I bet it would change your mind!

4. Yeah, I know Parker guitars SOUND great, but they look horrible in my eyes. And they really don't look like they'd be very comfortable, either.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    ah, but comfortable they are!
    You hardly know you're soaking in it...

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That bass is the perfect example for vaporware... :rolleyes:

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    what is this "vaporwar"?

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    interesting- very hi-fi vibe- snappy . The piezos sounded very good. heres a pic
    [​IMG]
    not me in the picture, by the way...

9. I must say

I'm not digging it at all. I hate the body shape and the headstock...

But I'd definitely like to hear how it SOUNDS. :cool:

10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Vaporware is a product that is announced over a long period of time, but never really gets released or marketed.

The term is originally used for software that is announced for some time (usually 1-2 years) but never appears in the shelves.

11. For me, looks comes secondard to sound. That being said I like the sound and the carved top of the parker bass that Steve Swallow plays. http://www.ejn.it/mus/swallow1.jpg I has a lot of the swell and URB qualities of the Rick Turner and Rob Allen basses with a bit more presence and cut.

-Chris

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    WOW! Kenny wants! Did you get any idea of retail pricing???

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    does it have the carbon fibre fingerboard and the stainless frets?

i LOVe parker guitars....so i'd really like to try the bass. the thing i like most about the guitars besides the fingerboard is the tremolo though, and i guess that doesn't really transfer over :D BUT IT SHOULD!!! :D

what are the electronics in there?

jason

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Someone should tell PRS. He still hasn't figured out how to make a bass on par with his guitars;)

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I'll tell you what- if you guys can hang till NAMM is over- I'll ask if he qould come oin and answer all these questions- i do know some about it - like the layering if several spruce ( i believe spruce) tops- but i dont want to go eeper since you can get the 411 straight from the horse's mouth- cool?

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    what a big delusion! speasking about the design as much as i love the parker guitar i have to say that i dislike the shape and the design of this bass. i hope that this bass plays great because it looks really bad....:(

17. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I like the shape (and wood choice), but the single coils ruin the look, soapbars might fit better.
    Also, it's a bummer that the lower cutaway prohibits easy access to the highest frets.

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't mind the shape at all. Remember, Parkers have a body shape that's tuned for resonance. Form follows function.

19. what machineheads are those?

they look suspiciously like guitar types, presumably chosen to keep the headstock size and weight down.

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you are right, but this is true not only for parker design. and this does not mean that a bass need to be ugly to resonate. fender jazz stated the standard and it's everything but ugly. my personal comment ti this parker is based only on this pic. i have never played the bass and my comment can dramatically change if i'll have the chance to play this bass. my point was on the design only.

;)