1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any worn out polly finish fenders? Pics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osztertag2112, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Hey, I picked up a great fender p bass not too long ago,and thought "this would look great worn out'. Im not one for "relicing" a bass, Id perfer to let time takes its toll on my bass. I know that polly doesnt age tge same way as nitro, but i wondered if ther were any cool worn out polly basses people might wana post. I guess just to share with us new bass owners what weve got in store? Thanks & Cheers! Cant wait to see some really beauties

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I played the heck out of this '71 P-bass for many years. You can see a little of the finish has flaked off the upper body contour. There is plenty of buckle rash, too. However, the poly finish seems pretty robust compared to the nitro-finished '55 P and two Road Worn Jazzes I have.

71-P.

3. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    IMO poly does not look cool worn. With serious abuse, it may chip, crack, dent, and delaminate, but pretty much resists the gradual wear you see in nitro. If you sand it, it turns white and looks like hell. The worst of the botched relicking jobs are poly.

edbass1.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    That buckle rash look quite a bit like the back of my '71 P-bass in post #2. Also, it looks like a new P-bass. What year is it?