Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any worthwile combos at $600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist31588, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Yeah, I've pretty much exhausted amplification topics on Harmony Central (and acouple threads here). But if there are any combos you'd reccomend at this price, please say so. I'm telling you my budget is like 400, but I can wait an extra bit for 600. My original intent was to get an avatar 2x10 or 1x15 as a standalone unit powered by a Hartke 3500 head. I want growl and low end for a 5 string, and I want definition. Screw you guys reccomending a Peavey TNT, last time I mentioned my age I got the response of, "Peavey TNT, they stand the abuse your age gives it". FYI I can take care of my gear thank you:rolleyes: :p :D. I'm looking for a toneful product with headroom. Im currently using a 2x12 hartke combo with 1 of those speakers useless as it's facing the ground (it's supposed to shake the floor but with 120 watts its not gonna get close. I can't believe how stupid the builder was and I was).

So any combos that won't exceed 600 would be great. Try to refrain from used ones please.

I've got $170 saved up. Im 14 so I have no job and money is a problem.

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    WEll, I will recommend a Peavey, and not because of the "abuse your age would give it" (I take care of my gear too)
    IMHO, they sound good, and are reliable. A bit on the heavy side, but worthwhile.
    Actually, with that 600 bucks, you could get a Combo 115. They now have casters (I got a nice heavy duty hand truck from Sears to move mine, since it'a an older before wheels model)Whats nice is, you could later add a 4 ohm extension cab for the full 300 watts.
    Good luck, hope that helps!

3. Ive used peavey tnt's and i used to partially own one. I hated the thing. I was using it because it was my brother's bassist for his band for his rehearsals(and actually shows too). yes it gets loud enough, I was using it as a temporary while my Hartke was in the shop (one frickin month for a worn out input jack). I got the hartke back and I felt like I had a pro amp. Good tone. But come on, there's no volume to it:rolleyes:... 500 dollars of pure BS. A random speaker facing DOWN? TELL ME ABOUT BS. I thought I was hitting it big with a 2x12, but I only get the projection of a 1x12:(

4. buy used, personally I'd rather have an old Cadilac than a new Chevy if you get my drift.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Musician's Friend has the Ampeg BA-115 for 450.00 right now. That's a pretty good deal. Also the Ampeg B-100R is a pretty kickin' amp. Slightly more but still less than 600. Call Gard at Bass Central and he'll probably make you the best deal.
    He could probably also tell you some other good combos that he has in your price range.

brad cook

6. Im not looking to downgrade my power from 120 watts to 100 watts. No ampeg combos, they are beginner amps and wont improve anything im doing now.

7. what makes you think they're beginner amps?

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    [​IMG]

yes this is a very beginner amp. Only a beginner would use such an amp. Come on kid, don't be so closed minded.:rolleyes:

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Carvin RC210 if you buy it used. I got mine for around $500. There's your 600 watts, and you can drop a 115 under it later. You can biamp or run it full range.

10. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Ok, first of all Ampegs are NOT beginner amps whatsoever - they are some of the nicer combos around if you'd look at the reviews. Secondly, a 20 watt difference is also NOT a downgrade whatsoever - you will not be able to hear the difference due to the way that your hearing works (the difference between 100 and 200 watts is only 3db, 100 to 1000 watts is 10db). Now that we've got that straight, here's my reccommendations:

SWR Workingman's series - built extremely well, great tone, if you check the reveiws you'll see this. You can get a WM12 new for under $600 I believe, and you could easily find a used WM15 for that (the WM15 will have more power overall, as well as more power with an extension cab).

Ampeg combos - For some reason you seem to think these are beginner amps, yet I see tons and tons of pros using them. Perhaps you might want to read some reviews on them, go try one out, and then decide. Built well and great vintage tone.

Ever thought of a larger Hartke combo? Perhaps one with the 2000 model head (200 watts)? I've seen several of those before in use and they got a nice sound to them if you dig the Hartke sound. You'll probably have to look used though.

Carvin has already been mentioned and is a good choice - though I'm told that you really need to play one to decide if it's the sort of sound you'd like.

Peavey is also a good choice (it's funny that you think an Ampeg is a beginner amp, while you don't say anything about the Peavey being a beginner amp). I personally don't like them, but I've gotta admit that they're durable and get respectable tone. Better than your Hartke combo, I'd expect.

Also look into Gallien-Krueger - they make tons of combos up to 540 watts. Again, they have a unique sound or so I'm told, so try before you buy. GK stuff tends to be expensive for some reason, so you'll probably have to go used.

So those are my suggestions...take them or leave them. Also, I don't know if you're trying to do this or not, but by what you are writing you're coming off as kinda a jerk here. If you want more people to take you seriously, then you might want to rethink your attitude. We're all trying to help ya here, if you don't like our opinions that's fine, but just remember that we are all entitled to them just as much as you're entitled to yours. Just my humble opinion...;)

11. ya Im sorry guys. Its just I've tried out an Ampeg combo before and it was REAL ****ty. I dont know if it was used or not but I didn't like it. Could've been used because it was at Daddies Junky Music. I mean, i've tried the higher end Ampeg stuff and I really DIG it, but I dont have that type of money. I just dont thinhk 100 watts can give me enough volume. My 120 definetly isnt. Yes, for your information, i have done my reviews of Peavey TNT's and I used to use one myself while my harkte was in repair. It was just horrible. It did the job and gave enough volume, but it was toneless. I got my hartke back and it just made me sound 10x better.

Yes, I did come off as an ignorant dick, and Im sorry. I'm really not that ignorant, I just haven't had any good experiences with Peavey and Ampeg combos. Sorry. Thanks. Sorry:)

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For the money, an Eden Nemesis 210 combo is a good bet. 225W, 2X10", loud enough to literally flap your pants legs. Eden's other troubles aside, this is a good product!

What's wrong with just replacing the blown Hartke with an Avatar? Sounds like a good, cheap solution to me.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was gonna recommend the Nemesis too. Ive had mine for just barely over a year (it was a christmas present), and I still feel like it was the perfect choice.

Its loud, lightweight, small, and sounds great. Check them out.

Peace
    Nick

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I would look for a used GK400 or Hartke 5000/7000 head and get a Avatar cab under it......if you look you can find those heads for around 300.00 and have 300.00 left for a decent cab. Just my two pennies;)

15. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey, no problem man...just watch how you're saying stuff otherwise people might get the wrong impression, that's all - no offense taken. I'm glad to hear that you have done some testing yourself. I forgot to add in the Nemesis line from Eden. I hear great things about them with concern to sound quality and from the posts above I'd definitely say check 'em out.

Keep in mind the type of sound that an amp produces as your shopping around. Example: Ampegs tend to have a warmer, more 'vintage' tone while an SWR is an ultra modern lows and highs kinda deal. Both amps can be EQ'd to do probably whatever you want, but that base sound is always there. So, if you were a straight up rocker type or into funk or something, maybe check out SWR. If you're more into jazz and soul type music, maybe check out Eden, etc. See what I'm getting at? Not to say that you can't make the amp sound how you want, but each amp has it's own sort of sound character so to say. For example, my SWR Workingman's 10 can be made to sound really jazzy and deep without too much highs or I can of course get the modern thump and twang sound out of it, but no matter what I do to it EQ-wise, it always sounds like an SWR to me as opposed to if I was using similar settings through an Ampeg or a Crate or a Fender.

16. well I'm realizing that I could use my Hartke for jazz as I can get sound that i like for jazz out of it, just run it into a PA or something if I need more volume which I dont really need. I want something with more Boom for rock though and the hartke can barely handle a rock rehearsal with a couple loud guitarists and a drummer, lol

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If he didn't like the TNT, he probably won't like that one either. The Combo is very loud, and with an extension cabinet, it is louder than a lot of stacks. But it has a similar tone to the TNT.

18. Well I did try the 8 or 10" version of that (i think it was the 8) and I really liked the tone out of it. I often find crappy amps into an 8" speaker arent that bad as long as it doesn't bottom out too fast... I don't know how I would like the 15, but I thought the one I tried out kicked ass. It could be that small speakers are decieving at low volumes, I dunno. About the 15, Im not sure how I'd feel about lugging 114 pounds. Sure, it's got casters, but so does my hartke and sometimes I can barely get that up the stairs into my room. Going down isnt really a problem with the side handles, just as long as ya hold on to it:D. My hartke is 74 pounds and I'd think that the 15 would be bulkier although not bigger and... SCREW IT! IM A BASSPLAYER! I HAVE TO OWN HEAVY GEAR TO GET VOLUME:D. But damn:( I think I might just double check on the TNTs if worst comes to worst. I just want something that will handle my five string when I string it weith a low B rather than a high C.