Any Year I should Stay Away From? (P-Bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SamHD, May 31, 2005.

1. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    We're having a big Guitar show coming up in Columbus, Oh on June, 12th 2005.

Between now and then I'm going to decide if I should bite the bullet and get me a nice vintage P-Bass. Of course, all depends on price, conditions, if I can find one, etc.

I like the wider radius of the 60's and up necks, (not 100% sure if I'm right on that statement, so feel free to educate me here).

Is there a particular year(s) where Fender screwed up that I should stay away from.

Suggestions are greatly appreciate. I'd be looking for one that has a nut width close to 1-5/8".

2. best to avoid late 70's earily 80's from what i understand
  3. April '57. Leo had flu. The basses suffered terribly.

Seriously, IME Fender is consistent in its variability. There are great and lousy basses from all years.
  4. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Smash, tell you the truth, this would be my first guitar show. I would hope they'd let me play it.

I'm pretty excited about this.... and I really fear that I'll do some damage to my bank account!!
  5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I think the 1 5/8" nut width started in 1972 or 1973, so you'll be looking more recent than that, but I have smallish hands and have liked some of the 1 3/4" nut width P's I've played.
  6. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I have smallish hands too actually, but I also have a Stingray (which is 1-5/8"), so I'd like to find one with that width for consistency. - yeah, I know.... I'm weird that way :p
  7. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

I'd avoid the late 1700's models.
  8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a 1 5/8" P bass and a 1 3/4" P bass. I have no problems switching back and forth. In fact, just last night I was trying to transpose a piece from A to G and kept switching between one in drop D and one in standard. I did not notice a difference.

I get more messed up when the scale is different, but can quickly adjust. Then again, it could just be that my technique is so bad it dosen't matter :p
  9. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    i had a 78 p that had literally over a centimeter gap of extra body where the neck pocket is. but then that means nothing, fender is hit or miss. sorry, disregard. in all actuality resale values for vintage fenders are very good no matter what the year. i guess enough people think that vintage is quality no matter what to make it so