Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any younger relatives of Aggie DB750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Sep 14, 2005.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    OK I've got a stupid question (one more :smug: ).

What amp would be a smaller brother to Aggie DB750 regarding the sound?
    I mean, I don't need so much power and I don't have that much money :rollno:

thanks

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    aggie 659 preamp and your choice of poweramp.

closest you'll get to it.

the 359 is a 200 watt all tube version but it's discontinued and i expect them to go for some bucks.

IMO, the ag500 doesnt really nail the 750/659 tone

3. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    but that's some $1000 just for the preamp and I couldn't spend more than some Eur1200 for a head :mad:
    any other options? some other make perhaps?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well where are you???

that would give us some idea of what's available to you in your area

i was very impressed with the ebs heads (dunno if they're more available/cheaper in europe)

noting is going to sound "just like a 750" but there aqre a lot of fantastic heads out there these days, some of them used and 10+ years old.

5. The Thunderfunk TFB 550 gets close enough to the 750 sound for me (yes, I have owned one!!) When you consider it costs less than half as much and weighs less than a third as much it is a bargain!! Try one, I guarantee you will be surprised....Don't be afraid to play with the EQ, you CAN get close to a 750 sound using the EQ!!

Peace,

T

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, there REALLY is no equivalent to the 750. again, it has that weighty fat power tube feel, yet w/o the saggy, boomy, flubby low end for the Low B joneses.

still, i'd stick w/ Aguilar, and go for the AG500. not a 750, but still has that subtly aggro, yet smooth sound.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey Tom;
    What were your TFB550 "DB750 emulator" settings again please?

thx-chef

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thunderfunk should make a seperate pre-amp

that would rock

9. Chef....go to the center frequencies of the 750's EQ points 40hz, 400hz, and 4khz, (that leaves you with one more band, I would suggest a harmonic of the center frequencies in whichever band needs the attention) add or subtract as desired in conjunction with the Bass, (80hz on T-Funk) Treble, (2K on the T-Funk) Timbre and Enhance knobs and experiment...It will depend on your cab as to how to much to put in or pull out and EXACTLY where...I set the 750 and the T-Funk up into an El Whappo (alternating between the 2) and just found the "sweet spots" and went from there...only took a few minutes and was certainly close enough for me in a live setting. You will not get the sheer size of the 750 (but do get a LOT of the dynamics) to be certain...but as I said, with a bit of experimentation, you can get it very close for a live setting....Good luck...

Peace,

T

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  11. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    well almost evrything is available and Glock is much cheaper than in USA (SoulHead is about Eur1100, HeartRock Eur1600....). I don't know about ThunderFunk, but I haven't seen it so far. And Aggie DB750 is Eur2800.

12. European-made heads with tubes:

- H&K BassBase and Quantum
    - Warwick heads (x-treme, tubepath)
    - Tech Soundsystems
    - EBS Fafner
    - Ashdown EVO

Jure

13. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    And which of European hads would be closest to DB750? but with less power

P.S. although there are more heads available in Europe than just those you've mentioned

14. H&K Quantum has similar controls but it's more tubey, Fafner is cleaner, but still not as clean as DB750.
    Ashdown delivers great amount of sounds regarding the price.

What bass and cabinet do you intend to use?

Jure

15. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I have the 359 and the 750 and they sound extremely different. Buy the pre and a small poweramp if you want close to the tone.