any1 bass player AND singer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yoda Masta, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Yoda Masta

Yoda Masta

Feb 14, 2005
    ive never really thought about it until now. but do any of you know/are a bass player and singer at the same time? its never seen really in famous bands. i mean... blink a little bit but i guess hes more of a background vocals guy. any ideas?
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If I do both people generally leave.
    Ever heard of a guy called McCartney?
    Entwhistle wasn't too bad either. I'm sure there are other's too but I can't think of them at the moment (tired)
  3. Spiderbait, Yes, Metallica (jason newstead, backup and lead on some)

Im backup vocals and lead singer on some songs too. Me and my guitarist share responsabilities.
  4. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Geddy Lee- Rush
    Lemmy - Motorhead
    Mellissa Auf der Maur
    Roger Waters - Pink Floyd
    Jack Blades - Night Ranger
    Mike Watt
    Doug Pinnick - King's X
    Sting - The Police
    Gene Simmons - Kiss
    Les Claypool - Primus
    Brian Wilson - Beach Boys

ahem... uh, Kip Winger - Winger
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    ...Sting, Les Claypool...
  6. Richard Sainclair ( Caravan )
  7. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Gene Simmons from Kiss
    Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy
  8. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I guess I really shouldn't give Kip Winger such a hard time... He actually is a classically trained musician... And he did pay his dues for years touring and recording with Alice Cooper...
  9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Tom Araya - Slayer
    Fat Mike - NOFX
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Waters never sang very often after Animals.

A few I haven't seen mentioned yet; Jack Bruce, Phil Lynnot (sp), Nick Oliveri, Sheryl Crow, Daniel Morgan, Jojo Garza, Tim Commerford, Tye Zemora, dude from Mastodon, Micheal Anthony, John Wetton, Greg Lake, Billy Sheehan, Victor Wooten, and hundreds of others.

Damn near every bass "great" in the last thirty years could sing and play.
  11. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Almost forgot about myself!

I will say that for me, singing and playing Bass is a lot harder then Singing and playing guitar... and I am not a very good guitarist...

It is, I think, mainly about having to be locked in with the Drummer on Bass, and Singing with the more melodically oriented guitar... it can get complicated... some songs I just can't do it on...
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Before this gets moved to wherever the Mods deem necessary; I have a question for singing bassists. I've found that the more difficult and constant a line is, the easier it is for me to sing and play. For an original song that a friend and I wrote, I have an 7/8 two-handed tapping line, but because it a constant ostinato phrase it is pretty simple for me to play it and sing lead (Jerry was a Racecar Driver is similar for me in this respect). While lines with rests at odd times are extremely hard for me to sing even backup to (My Name is Mud kills me with the muted slapped verses). Anybody else like this?

I guess as long as both hands are busy doing an ostinato I focus better on singing. :confused:
  13. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

Yeah I am kinda like that as well... I once read an interview with Geddy Lee where he stated how difficult it was sometimes for him to sing and play other people's songs... But as complicated as his own are, it wasn't as difficult...
  14. It has to do with "space"....let me explain

The more constant and rhythmic the bass line the less you have to concentrate on it with that part of your brain. But when you have open-space, syncopated stuff going on that requires your brain to subconsciously COUNT, then singing becomes very difficult.

I have trouble playing bass and singing, but I can play fingerstyle guitar or drums no problem (not that I am a very good singer, but what I mean is that I can do it).

It's about the "space".

If you want a prime example of this...get Rush's "Exit Stage Left" live album. Listen to what Geddy plays when he's singing vs. what he plays between phrases and, of course, during musical's different.
  15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Millencolin's singer plays the bass
    Less than jake's roger (the bass player) sings a lot of songs specialy those with skaish grooves
    Cold- jeremy irons (could be wrong on name)
    Pennywise bassist
    Flea sings in my friends.
    AAF - tye zamora.
    Green day - mike drint.
  16. I have heard about the same difficulty reading from other intrumentists outer bass players :
    For instance :

Robert Wyatt was former drummer/singer in Soft machine then Matching mole. He is known as one of the best drummer at that time, the real thread between Jazz and prog rock and amazing singer too. He used to tell the singing parts over drumming were so difficult, that he could only face the task when drunk...

Claude Barthélémy is a guitarist that often leads big bands in France. When he was talking about his experiment of Jimmy Hendrix's playing, he told that he could play Hendrix guitar's parts, but he had respect for the fact Hendrix was actually playing/singing.
  17. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Exactly! Don't be a victim of MTV and kids 'pop' magazines. :mad:

He is a phenomenal writer/singer/musician and deserves more respect. It's not his fault he was born 'good-looking' and got labelled as a result. Give him a break and use your ears everyone... :bassist: :)
  18. I sing and play bass quite alot at the same time, both lead and backup.
  19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have sung Lead and backup for the last 25 years.
    What about the Guy from Mister Mister and Tears for Fears, and CHris Squire, and and and..... I never really thought about how many of us there are singing in really good bands! Cool