1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any1 have experience with these two heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by klejst, May 25, 2011.

1. I do not have a terrible case of G.A.S, however I am keeping my eye out for a new bass head to replace my Peavey Tour 450. I am looking for something with a little more power, but also not a powerful price. I would like to go tube this time around. I have found two all tube heads that have caught my interest and I have done some Google searching and found some info, however I thought I would ask the knowledgeable TB community here for their opinions of and any experience anyone has had with these two heads.

The first is a Peavey Classic 400, all tube. The second is an Ampeg Jupiter 22 is what it is labeled as on the head itself. Just curious to what others have to say about these heads and which would be a better choice or should I just stick with my Tour 450 at this point? My cab is a Mesa PH610. Thanks everyone as always! :bassist:

2. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    The Peavey Classis 400 is a MONSTER amp in both power and weight. Excellent sounding amp with 400 RMS tube watts and weighs in arounds 100lbs, hope you have a strong back.

3. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The Peavey 400 is very powerfull and ear splitting loud with the right cabinet/s but It weighs 100 lbs. I wouldn't want to haul that thing around. If you don't mind the weight its a very cool amp. They have a bit of a cult following here on TB. There are several members that have them. I really like everything in that Peavey Classic line. The tube guitar amps are amazing as well.

I have never heard of the Ampeg Jupiter 22 amp. What is the wattage on it and is it a tube amp? If I had to guess I would bet that it's a guitar head.

If you want to step up from the Tour 450 and you like tubes have you looked at used (or new) Peavey VB2 heads.? They sound great, have two channels and get lots of love in here. Only weigh about 50 lbs.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Jupiter 22? This head?

Ampeg Rare Tube Head Jupiter 22 ? Guitar Bass Buy Now | eBay

I think you're comparing a bowling ball (Classic 400) to a grape (Jupiter).

From what I can see, most of the Jupiters were combo amps rather than heads and featured 2x12. 7027A tubes can't be good for much more than 30-35w each? Meaning this is a 50-70w amp?

5. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Don't count out the Traynor YBA200. I've seen those things go for $400 here. I love the sound and power of mine.