1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

any1 try the line 6 lowdown amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkbass479, Jan 1, 2007.

1. i've been with so many guitar players who swear by their guitar amps, but how are the new lowdown bass amps? are they any good or are they just a guitar amp company's attempt at making bass amps?

2. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I have the Studio 110 and posted my initial impressions here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296648&highlight=110

I'm still digging it a lot. It meets my needs perfectly for a small, portable practice amp. I am using it 80% of the time at home, which has to have my neighbors saying "Happy New Year!" I'm not doing any recording at the moment, but me thinks I will love it in that context too.

I've read mixed reviews on these amps, particularly the larger models. I think it comes down to this: do you like the concept of amp modeling or not? Do you like the concept of having a whole bunch of effects built-in to your amp (and presumably paying for that)? If one is not inclined to have those things in an amp, then I'm not sure the LD's are going to be the right amp. With those things being built in to the LD's, it is hard to categorize or describe the "LD sound", but that is by design I guess. For me personally, I think these things are perfect in the context of a small practice combo, but I'm not sure I'd want them in my main rig.

3. Got a Lowdown 150. It handles my Fender Presicion Lyte really well with a fantastic array of tones available through the user presets, but the Cort Curbow 6 doesn't suit the amp so well IMO. The use of the footswitch and DI out is particularly valuable. If your after a cheap yet good quality amp for smaller band setups, this amp and it's breathren are ideal!!!

4. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    +1 to CMHGREG

I have the LD 150, which I use as a practice amp at home. It excels in this capacity. I love being able to dial in reasonable simulations of real-world amps so that I can better tweak tone & pedal settings for actual stage use.
    My combo has too much audible hiss for recording, but I have plenty of other options for that application.
    For the $300 I spent on it, I've been very happy. Great, punchy sound with a lot of flexibility!
    As far as playing out with it, I'm not sure. Maybe an acoustic coffee-house or church situation would be appropriate.
    One note: I played both the 150 & 175 side-by-side & opted for the smaller amp. Even without the horn & large ports it seemed to have better low end extension. (may have been an acoustic anomaly, or maybe not!)

5. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    i tried one at a guitar center near me, and it could have been set up horribly, but its' not the kind of amp you can just sit down and figure out a bunch of stuff. i tried the different effects and they all gave this horribly distorted octaver flange effect. (distortedin a bad way) .. if there is a bad way.

But .. my experience was a 15 minute test run at a guitar center (one of the new combos reviewed in BASS PLAYER a few months ago)

6. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    One thing people need to be aware of is that it is very easy to store settings on these amps. Once you dial everything up, you can simply press and hold the current model button to save a "snapshot" of the dial settings (except the Master Volume). The LED flashes twice to indicate the settings have been stored. Even if the knobs get changed while the unit is off, the "dialed in" tone will be recalled and the dials are bypassed (unless you move them while it is on).

So if you are going to audition one at a shop somewhere, you should learn how to clear the settings just to be sure. Any horrible tones you hear on an LD might be the result of somebody else storing some really bad (to your ears anyway) settings on the thing.

Not sure about the other LD's, but a Factory Reset on the 110 is easy. You simply power the unit off, press down on the Clean model button and turn the power on. Keep pressing the button until it flashes. The settings will now be at Factory default.

7. 9Etherian

9Etherian

Apr 21, 2007
    This didn't solve the issues I have with my 110, but it was a very helpful tip.

8. +2