Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyboby use tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by top028, May 1, 2001.

1. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I have a Fender Bassman 100 (I think I am the only bassplayer using one) I was wondering what tubes every one likes. I was thinking about getting groove tubes put in it. I want a deep rumbly tone with clean mids...tell me what you think

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Your title was general but the post specific

I dont have a bassman but your thread goes back up the top.

NB Groove Tubes use Svet and Sovtek tubes/valves and test/match them (I have some EL84's in a guitar amp they are ok but I will probably use JJ Tesla's).

3. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    Canada
    I've got an Ampeg STV-2 Pro that sucks up tubes like a whore. Amazing sound though. :D

4. Tubes is all I use, man. It's like a religion to some of us. Go for the real deal - USA made if you got the cash. Otherwise, any good old Russian will set you up. Try www.triodeel.com.

Chris

5. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Punk Bassist....
    Every time you replace the power tubes, you need to have the amp Biased. Biasing entails: setting little pots inside the amp for the proper amount of current consumption durring idle. This allows the tubes to act at the proper times. Your amp is probably biased too high, causing the tubes to be in full operation at idle, and when you play it pushes the tubes past specs offering great tone(this for obvious reasons kills tube life). the other extreme causes really crappy tone, but super extended life. THis is just what I have picked up from my electronics classes and talking to other tube heads...

...so next time you replace tubes, go get your amp biased(if you dont already). Costs 20-100 dollars depending on the amp

6. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    Canada
    Thanks for the advice... :D

7. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    top028
    If you plan to replace the tubes yourself, be extremely careful. Tube amps will kill. There is a good book out ther that describes tube replacement and biasing as well as other tube amp related maintenance. I think it is called " how to service your tube amp" or something like that.

Also, from what I know, groove tubes are not the best choice. Go with a high grade USA made or russian made tube.
    Digs

8. I've heard the same about GT's, but they use Russian and Czech tubes don't they?

What's an alternative to GT and Mesa tubes (which is all I seem to see here)? Are run-of-the-mill Sovteks OK?

9. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I have a SVT2 that I dont use much due to the tubes , Dont get me wrong I love the sound but cost and lack of availability makes it hard, 6 power tubes in a shot is alot, the head I use now {SWR 750 }has a tube preamp and sounds just as good, a long time ago Radio shack would have tubes in stock and a tester on site, 3.50 a tube! now at 60.00 a set( need 3 sets) I use the amp very little,

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That Bassman 100 is a great amp. One of the local guys uses one.

I'd go with the above mentioned JJ/Teslas.I have 4 of these in my Ampeg V4-B. Not bad power tubes but I'm not too crazy about their preamp tubes when there are really spectacular NOS RCA to be had. Another tube that would work extremely well in that amp is 7581A's. These will give you a small bit more of headroom. These are going to be found as NOS through Ned at the above mentioned site.

PLEASE have these tubes biased properly by a competant amplifier Tech. They will last longer and you won't have to worry about problems with the output transformer. Also the warning about poking around inside tube amps is right on. They will ruin your day if they don't kill you whether they are turned on or not.

11. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    Buy NOS....little more expensive but well worth the money,reliabilty factor and not to mention tone.The Svet's are probably the best new manufactured tube's out today and a good value.As mentioned above, have it biased,better yet,learn to do it yourself.It isnt as hard as you think.

http://users.erols.com/bluestat/

12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    you can put tubes in a soild state amp??? o is the bassman100 a tube amp?!?!

13. Hey, I use a Bassman 100 and I love it. It has an awesome line out too. Anyways...I just read your last reply, is the BASSMAN 100 tubed? I thought it was solid state. If you can put tubes in it, how do you do that? Another question for "I want a bass" I thought the BASSMAN 100 would be a lot louder than what I can get it to before defeating the limiter and Power Clip of the Master Amp in it. Is there a trick to this Combo or what??

14. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i ahve no clue man., im sorry. i dont use one.. i was just asking about how u can put tubes in a soild state amp... or if it was tubed..

15. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    well, he's talking about a bassman 100 from a few decades back, not the new version.

16. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    The new Bassman 100 combo is solid state. But Fender made a Bassman 100 head in the 70s that was all tube. The only similarity between the new and old Bassman line is the name. They're different animals.

17. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    Exactly.The Bassman that has a silver faced panel and was made in the 70's.A damn fine sounding head.I was in the studio a couple of week's ago and the engineer had a 100 head sitting on top of this HUGE Fender cab and when I asked his assistant what speaker's were in it he said 18's.It certainly is big enough but I didnt think Fender made a cab with 18's in the 70's or anytime for that matter.Probably was two 15's but I didnt get a chance to play through it or do a fine tooth comb thingy to it.

18. The original Bassman cabs had 12's, then 15's. There was a Fender PS400 bass cab that had an 18 in it, though.

Chris

19. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks to every one...I was comparing prices, and GT tubes are way out of line with every one else $50 for a quad set compared to $120 set, hmmm let me think.