Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody Add Hotdotz To Their Bass(es)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Mar 8, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've got a major gig coming up in the future. I really want to wow the crowd and I think HotDotz will do it for me. I simply don't have the knowledge, willpower, or money to permanently mod my bass. I was thinking that these would be the best option.

I'd really love any feedback you guys have. Do they break easily? Fly off the bass when not expecting? Headstock dive with that batt-pack?

I want to get the red LEDs on my Red Schecter Elite 4. I think it'd look pretty good.

-Eric.

2. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    they break very easily...trust me. the wire is incased in a thin plastic and any hit or shake can break the wires.

the brightside for me was that they didn't damage my instrument when I took them off for the 3rd time.

3. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    I've been very pleased with HotDotz on my bass. I installed them as directed (take time to dry fit and understand the process), and I set them a little lower than the edge of the fretboard for protection, and so they wouldn't be in my way. I've used them 2-3 shows a week for 4 months with no problems. I am also reasonaby careful with my Alembic!

They are mainly for your benefit (on a dark stage, etc.). If you want to WOW the crowd, make sure you turn sideways and play with your neck high, so they can see them! Other musicians will love them.

Larry

4. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    If you want to wow the crowd get EL wire and decorate your bass.

5. i hear musicianship works well for that, but it may just be a rumor :confused:

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That's what I thought at first, but then I couldn't find a store that sold any musicianship.... guess its back to the drawing board for me..... :D

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Thanx, but I've already taken care of that. Besides, any musician should know that it's not necessarily musicianship that gets people's attention. I'll always get more attention and praise for playing the theme from Seinfeld than I will from Portrait of Tracy.

Anyway, I also found these, but they look a lot more sketchy than the HotDotz.

-Eric.

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Really? They sell that all over the place where I'm at... normally comes in a set of 6 cans :D

9. I'd have to say that you're wrong on this one. Try turning on the radio and then make that statement again. :p

10. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    those have to be the dumbest things ive ever seen. id rather wear a neon sign on my head that says "I CANT REALLY PLAY"

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    ahahaha
    I'm :bawl: with laugher

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Try tiny rhinstones. Yes RHINESTONES.
    Replace the sidedots with them (take it in and have it done-unless your good at drilling out the dots yourself).
    They reflect the smallest amount of light, allowing you to see your position markers on the darkest stages.
    The good thing is, you can't really tell what they are unless you really look.
    And they are inset, so you can't feel them either.
    They will help a bit for musicianship (cause you can see) and not much for the showmanship, unless you having a matching jumpsuit I guess :D

13. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Actually, some people "CANT REALLY PLAY" on extremely dark stages if you can't see where you are. Especially since I've got upcoming gigs that require me to play in almost total darkness for a little while on certain songs. I have to be exact. Don't think you know someone because of what gear and setup they have.

-Eric.

14. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    +1

I've been on a lot of dark stages where its near impossible to see the fret markers. After seeing the LEDs Alembic puts on some of their basses, I've found myself reeeally wishing I could afford one of thoseLED fitted Alembics, or at least a Sims fit.

Personally, I wouldn't give a terd in a Pringles can about what the crowd thought about the LEDs on my bass. Besides, what makes it different from AAAAA flame/quilt/spalted or exotic woods?

15. Make sure you have the crowd drink it, not you ;)

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Good idea...I want to do that on my FBB fretless!
    Any local Bay Area luthiers or handypeople want to give me a quote? Just email me.

Marshall

17. I have HotDotz on one of my basses. They work well for me and were a very inexpensive solution to a genuine problem.

18. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    What I do if I'm playing in the darkness is to turn towards the amp. Even if you only have a couple of leds in your amp that's enough to get a reference.

The showmanship with this comes from showing your back to the audience Miles' style :p or you can move your butt and show your tight pants :D

keep groooovin'
    Fran