1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody attempted reshaping their bass body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm considering making some small changes to the countouring of my Strangeberger, to make it balance better and make it a bit more comfortable. Anybody else done anything like this, or something more drastic? How did you go about it, and how did it turn out? Post some pics if you've got 'em.

This could generate some interesting ideas, or at least serve as a horrible warning for others.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I converted a slab '51 RI P body into a contoured body like the '54 - '57 model. I just removed whatever didn't look like a '54 style body using the tools that were at hand and then started sanding.

3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've re-contoured two basses to make them more comfortable to play, more attractive, and to reduce their weight a little. The process is relatively straightforward: I penciled layout lines and used patternmaker's rasps, spokeshaves, and scrapers to refine the shape; when the shaping was done, a little time with some 220-grit abrasive, and I was ready to apply a new finish.

It's not particularly difficult if you have some woodworking experience and a few rudimentary tools, and you stop frequently to check your work as you go.

Good luck!

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I rounded the edges of this Rickenbacker ...

4003s5-20.

4003s5-21.

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Did that previously have binding? Did you remove it first, or just route right through it?

6. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    That Ric looks great! It looks to me sort of like the Sadowsky of Rickenbacker :p

When I get a new bass sometime in the disant future, I would like to reshape my ESP a little. I've been wanting to exaggerate the curve on top for the right arm, and curve the bottom edge so it's more comfortable on the leg.

7. vanscoy

vanscoy

Nov 30, 2007
    I know another guy who did that same thing
    [​IMG]

8. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    Fantastic

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's it... I'm doing it.

I left all my tools behind in New Orleans, so it's time to dig through my mother's garage and see what I can come up with...