Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody build a Piccolo bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Mar 5, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    What did you used for hardware? Pickups? How did it come out? What would you do different if you were going to do it again?......t

2. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Well, I didn't actually build mine--I had Warwick custom make it for me. It's a 30" scale Corvette Proline in natural flamed maple with an ovangkol neck and unlined ebony fretless board. Hardware is all Warwick standard stuff, but where the Proline is gold hardware standard, I spec'd chromed hardware like the Corvette Standard. Electronics are Warwick's active/active J-J sized.

For strings, the idea was to use TI Jazz Flats, the top four strings from a 6-string set, but I've been too lazy to order the TI's and I've put on Fodera compression-wounds. The bass is tuned to C-F-Bb-Eb above the normal A string of a regular four string bass (3 half steps above normal for these strings at 34" scale), or how a cello would be tuned, if you tuned it in fourths instead of fifths.

[​IMG]

Things I'd do differently? Nothing really, but I'd like to build something similar with a cello scale length (28-ish"), and tune it in fifths. Maybe I'd try some passive pickups or add a piezo bridge.

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    actually I was just toying with an idea for a travel bass with one jazz pickup at 18" scale. It's more like a eukalelee (Note: I am a horrible speller) but I think I will be working on this one. :D

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I built a 32" scale piccolo once. It was a lot of fun to play. The strings tend to be under very high tension if you are really tuning it piccolo (e a d g) and so shortening the scale helps. I tuned my down a tone and liked it a lot. If I were to build another, I would probably do a 30" scale or a 32" tenor. I may have to add those to my list of things to do.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    The customer is wanting 28" scale. Sort of a cool project....t