Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody capable of Classical Thump?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Guss, Dec 10, 2002.

1. I recently discovered Vic Wooten. It sounds impossible. I was wondering if anybody can play this song all the way, at correct tempo. Just a curiosity thing really.
    That's probably not his hardest piece, but oh well.

(By the way, you should post an MP3 of yourself playing it if you can;) )

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I can play most of the first part but it gets kinda rough in the triplets. Not near as clean and smooth and probably not as fast as Vic plays it. I'm kinda still working on getting those triplets down so I can play that part well but I haven't worked on it lately. It sounds pretty much exactly like his until the triplets but that's the easy part. I didn't really pursue figuring out any of it past the point where he does the run that starts at the 12th fret of the g string and plays all the way down to open position. That's where I stop. Maybe some day I'll pursue going past that point but not until I finally get to where I can play the triplets smoothly.

brad cook

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wrong robot just about has it nailed...

4. Wow, must take alot of work.:eek:

5. wrong robot's recording was actually too fast, if i remember correctly!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I can... oh wait... no... no I can't.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah I play it A LITTLE to fast....you can check it out at my WWW weblink but I'm not to happy with it anymore...I have another version that is a little bit better but I'm lazy on posting it.
    I have all the parts but the tapping bit(which I just skip over cause it ends up not really needing it if you ask me)
    also there are some parts where I just had to make up something that sounded similiar, because there is not way I could play exactly what he's playing.
    also the strings on my bass where like 5 months old so the tone is pretty crummy.

aww hell...heres the link :p

Wrong's errata

oh...it took me about 2 concentrated weeks of studying it to do. I knew the first part practically from day one(its not very tough) but it everything after that that made me not want to ever play bass again, over the summer I sat in my room and said "okay I'm going to learn classical thump...no ****ing around" so I did....sorta.

8. Wow, I'm highly impressed, WR...I just tried that, thinking "eh, sounds easy till the triplets, I'll just see how far I can get"... Freakin' choked on the sixteenth notes :mad: :oops:

Now that I've embarrassed myself and proven that I need to practice much, much more... Are the 16th note bars just hitting the open strings and hammering on the same notes as in the quarter note bars, or is there more to it? That doesn't sound quite right when I do it, but that could just be because I suck more than I thought. In any case, I sure can't pick out the individual notes at the moment.

[edit: they're 16th notes, not 8th notes...]

9. Good freaking lord... contrary to what your webpage states, that's not human.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Classical thump is just a big double thumbing excercise really. the opening part is just
    hitting notes then it does
    open hammer then its
    hammer double thumb, being down up with your thumb.

then there is some tapping in the middle section and some stuff like that, but primarily the song is just a bunch of
    hammer double thumb triplets and stuff
    thanks guys!

11. Hey, guys. When you highlite the smilies, they make new faces! Isn't that GREAT!:eek: :D:( :oops:

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    wha-?
    smilies? new faces? huh?
    :(

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I can play a good bit of classical thump. I recently recorded it but I didn't have a recorder on my comp so it only got about 60 seconds before it stopped... and I keep distorting.. oh well.. one day soon I hope I can get some decent recording equipment

14. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    i can play it.. i sound nothing like vic.. i have a cheap p bass(yamaha rbx series.. with the p bass pickup.. really cheap)
    but managed to get down the taping part.. *grin*
    I actually learned how to tap on guitar first and learned how to play some kirk hammet leads and solos.. and then even the thump was hard!!!! very hard! im still getting it though.. ill record it soon prolly if i can i cant play it as fast on some parts but the first minute i can play at correct speed