Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody change preamp tubes in their Aguilar DB750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Sep 15, 2005.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    If so, what did you go with, and how did it affect the tone of the amp?

Thanks

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I took out the sovtek and put a telefunken NOS 12ax7 in there. WHAMMO!! big difference there. It opened that amp up alot, and I didn't think it could sound any better with the Sovtek. thats an expensive and hard to find tube though (beware of buying them on ebay). you may want to experiment with some of the new Electro harmonix tubes, especially the 12ax7LPS. Alot of guys like those for bass rigs.

It's definitely worth rolling some tubes through that amp, and see which ones you like. Some amps are designed to really sound consistent no matter what tube is in them, but the 750 really lets the character of each tube show.

Just make sure you replace the correct tube. there are 4 in there.

3. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I'm also considering changing the tubes in my DB750, which one can you guys reccommend, I've heard that the Mullard should be great...where is it best to order these tubes from?

4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Try an Ei gold 12ax7 and Jan/Phillips NOS Au7 paired together. Awsome.

5. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Kringle77, you mention 3 tubes, but the db750 has got 4 tubes...which one do you keep in the db750?

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I replaced the 12ax7's with Electro Harmonix. The 12au7 was already an EH. The tone was great to start but improved noticeably and, dare I say, got a little louder. I'm sure there are better tubes but the EH's are inexpensive and to me sound much better than the Sovtek's

7. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I messed up. I prefer to replace all 12ax7's with Ei gold tubes and replace all Au7's with the phillips NOS tubes. I prefer this arangement on pretty much all the gear that I have owned.

8. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry for getting back so late on my post. I have to stop posting a thread, and then going away for the weekend.

Anyway, I decided to go with all JJ Electronic tubes. They should be here in a day or so. I will post a review once I get them installed.

I started looking at the Mullard 12ax7, but got a little overwhelmed by the many diffferent styles of Mullards on ebay.

9. mrbassman_de

mrbassman_de Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Germany
    I'm also going to try out some tubes in my DB750. Does anybody know which tubes are used originally ? And where is the 12AU7 located and where the V1 tube ?

Thanks
    Rainer